PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Software requires the real-time kernel?

User X
December 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I am trying to run a program called EMC2. It stands for Enhanced Machine Controller and is available from www.linuxcnc.org. When I installed it on 8.04 it asked if I wanted to re-write the entries in grub, or leave them the way they were set. I had to tweak the entries initially and I can't remember what I did to them so I chose to leave them the way they were set, but it may have been the wrong choice. Can anyone tell me how to boot into the "real time kernel 2.6.24-16-rtai" It's not currently an option when I turn the power on...?

jerome1232
December 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Well you should be able to install a real time kernel via synaptic/apt-get if you type the following into a terminal it should install the latest real time kernel.

sudo apt-get install linux-rt

User X
December 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM
How do I know what kernels are already installed? I have a feeling EMC has loaded a real time kernel I just don't have the grub option to boot into it...? Thanks...

User X
December 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM
so I figured it out...

If I look in /boot I see that all my kernels are listed there. Most of them are 2.6.24-16-generic, which is not a real time kernel. I also noticed a new kernel listed as 2.6.24-16-rtai. This last kernel was not showing up in grup when I started the PC so I used:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

to modify the kernels appearing on startup and added a duplicate entry near the end of the .lst file. I changed the -generic to -rtai. Then when I rebooted the computer I was able to boot into the rtai real time kernel. I hope this makes sense for anyone that comes across this post looking for answers...

rustik
November 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Can I make it work emc2 on kubuntu 9.4, 9.10