PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] I'm so stupid.

Cadeyrn
December 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Using Ubuntu 8.10b with gnome, I've accidentally used the Screen Resolution preferences to make the resolution only on my personal admin account to be 320xsomething, making it too small for absolutely everything. I'm unable to change it back because it's so small, and for some reason I can't resize windows at all.

I'm posting this from /root saying I desperately need help, because I've googled everywhere on how to change it back through the low resolution, through the terminal, through recovery, and even looking on the internet and my hard drive for some kind of file that has all of my preferences on it, editable and saveable. Nothing can be found.

gettinoriginal
December 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
You should be able to edit your graphics here: :p

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

RFGunslinger
December 16th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Try switching to tty1 by pressing ctrl+alt+F1. Login and edit xorg.conf

sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add these lines to your "Screen" section:

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection

Then switch back to tty7 (ctrl+alt+F7) and restart X. Hopefully that will get you back to a point where you can change the resolution from Gnome, and then delete the lines you've just added.

Cadeyrn
December 16th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Well, I had already looked at that file and thought it was for all of the users, but if what you say is true, I'll give it a try. An edit will tell my results.

EDIT: I saw for the first time and decided to try RF's fix first. I just used the whole thing and am about to restart. Man, this is yet another example of Linux's awesomeness: it is ALWAYS easy to solve a problem. That is, unless it involves drivers or entirely destroying your system... XD

Cadeyrn
December 16th, 2008, 01:04 AM
So, I tried what you said, but I can't figure out how to save it and overwrite the old file...

yogo
December 16th, 2008, 01:08 AM
So, I tried what you said, but I can't figure out how to save it and overwrite the old file...

You have to use sudo when editing, otherwise you will not be able to save.

Cadeyrn
December 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Uhh, I tried using sudo and pressing other letters but it got all messed up and I accidentally exited the editing. I have no idea if it was saved. It said:

[1]+ Stopped sudo vi /etc/X11/.conf

And went back to the command prompt, logged into the same account.

ARGH, after further meddling I've made a THIRD swap file. Well, I'm in it and all I have to do is have the changes I've made overwrite the original .conf. How do I do that???

sisco311
December 16th, 2008, 01:22 AM
1.) try to edit the file with nano:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Ctrl+o, Enter to save and Ctrl+x to exit.
(or Ctrl+x, y, Enter to save the file and exit)

or
2.) open the Screen Resolution Preferences

hold down the Alt key, left click anywehre on the window and drag ...

yogo
December 16th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Uhh, I tried using sudo and pressing other letters but it got all messed up and I accidentally exited the editing. I have no idea if it was saved. It said:

[1]+ Stopped sudo vi /etc/X11/.confAnd went back to the command prompt, logged into the same account.

ARGH, after further meddling I've made a THIRD swap file. Well, I'm in it and all I have to do is have the changes I've made overwrite the original .conf. How do I do that???

try
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf It is a little easier than using vi

elvinatom
December 16th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Do you know how to use the vi text editor? Is that the problem?

Don't use gedit, that's for graphic output ... do that:

sudo nano /etc/X11/.conf

when done editing, hit <ctl> + o, enter, <ctr> + x

Cadeyrn
December 16th, 2008, 01:32 AM
XD Another thing I love about Linux--multiple ways to solve problems.

I also learned the hard way that nano is way better tha gedit and vi, at least it is in the console.

I'm extremely sure sisco's first suggestion worked, though we won't know for sure until I restart and log into my account...

Cadeyrn
December 16th, 2008, 02:10 AM
AGH! I still don't know for sure if the problem's fixed because suddenly Ubuntu won't start.

More details on the problem + the topic we'll use to discuss it is here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6376448#post6376448).

EDIT: So, once my startup problem is fixed, I'll start up and simply mark this thread as solved if my resolution problem is fixed. If not, I'll say it didnt work in a new post.