PDA

View Full Version : RadioShack offers $99 Acer Netbook

Giant Speck
December 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Here is an interesting story I found this afternoon:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20081212/bs_nf/63538;_ylt=AjZ0ZLXvZRrhUjzyKV0TiDGor7oF

Acer, AT&T and RadioShack have teamed up to offer a deal that brings the Acer Aspire netbook to market for only $99. Netbooks are mobile computing devices with a screen size of five to 10 inches that run a full version of a client operating system, such as Windows XP or Linux.

The Acer Aspire, with integrated 3G wireless technology, usually sells for $500. AT&T is subsidizing the cost of the device, but customers have to sign up for a two-year AT&T DataConnect mobile-broadband service agreement. Plans start at $60 a month.

It's a steal for the laptop itself, but I'm not quite sure about the mobile-broadband service.

The problem is that in two years, you would have spent more on just the internet ($1440 at the very cheapest) then you would if you had bought almost three Acer Aspires!

I-75
December 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I don't think $60 a month for a 5 GB capped bandwidth is worth it for the $99 laptop. For about $100 one can buy a functional but used laptop from E-Bay and throw Ubuntu on it and have a good running machine without any commitments,.

Giant Speck
December 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I don't think $60 a month for a 5 GB capped bandwidth is worth it for the $99 laptop. For about $100 one can buy a functional laptop and throw Ubuntu on it and have a good running machine without any commitments,.

Sixty dollars a month for 5 GB capped bandwidth is not worth it at all if it is mobile broadband? Wouldn't it suck if you lived in an area where there is no 3G network. You'd be paying for something you can't use!

acelin
December 15th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Show me a 100 dollar laptop worth buying.

Protip: there isn't.

I-75
December 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Your right, mine cost $78 not including shipping from E-Bay last year. Gateway laptop PIII 600 Mhz, 288 MB Ram 20 gig hard drive including power supply and no OS.

I threw Ubuntu 8.04 on it, took my wireless USB dongle that I used for my I-Mac and hooked that in the laptop and also have wireless.

Poor man's netbook.

acelin
December 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Your right, mine cost $78 not including shipping from E-Bay last year. Gateway laptop PIII 600 Mhz, 288 MB Ram 20 gig hard drive including power supply and no OS.

I threw Ubuntu 8.04 on it, took my wireless USB dongle that I used for my I-Mac and hookes that in the laptop and also have wireless.

Pssh I meant new... that is quite a steal.

I-75
December 15th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Pssh I meant new... that is quite a steal.

I am looking at used Gateway laptops right now on E-bay from $15 to $54. As for new? Don't know

smoker
December 15th, 2008, 11:33 PM
there's quite a few UK providers offering laptops/netbooks, here's 10:
http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/types/broadband_free_laptop/

not recommending anything here, just for info, so read any small print!

grazed
December 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM
it's a good way to get the netbook cheaper than buying it outright.

quote from the agreement: "Price requires credit approval, up to $36 activation fee and $175 early-termination fee."

so, 99+175+36= $310. make sure you cancel as soon as you get home, so the $60 per month is pro-rated down to less than 2 dollars, and you're done.

you just saved $190. that's if... you're in the market for that particular model.

frankleeee
December 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM

I payed 90$ for my inspiron 4100 http://freegeek.org/
used yes but already loaded with Hardy and 512 ram & 1 gig chip

I-75
December 15th, 2008, 11:57 PM
it's a good way to get the netbook cheaper than buying it outright.

quote from the agreement: "Price requires credit approval, up to $36 activation fee and $175 early-termination fee."

so, 99+175+36= $310. make sure you cancel as soon as you get home, so the $60 per month is pro-rated down to less than 2 dollars, and you're done.

you just saved $190. that's if... you're in the market for that particular model.

For that particular model. But you can find some great deals in computer refurb/repair shops on used laptops..with a limited warranty. Also Geeks.com and Micro-Center has some excellent deals. I have seen for months now a full fledged Acer laptop with Vista selling for $379 at Micro-Center...You should be to install Ubuntu on it. I have seen The EEE PC selling for $279 there. I have seen netbooks with XP selling around the $349 range in the Sunday papers.

If you need a new netbook and need wireless and don't mind the caps and the $60 a month..then the Radio Shack offer might be for you. I still think you can close to that $310 figure if you shop around and have no long term commitments.

$300 can get you a good laptop at a computer repair shop with a warranty...or a great laptop on E-Bay from a reputable seller.

init1
December 16th, 2008, 03:06 AM

It's a $500 laptop, they give you the $400 discount as an incentive for signing up for the 3G contract.

cardinals_fan
December 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM

Bearing in mind that there are no $100 laptops on the market right now (this one is marked down), what makes you say that they would be worthless?