PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD boots but cannot install.

corn29
December 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hello,

I've burned Intrepid Ibex to a CD. I can boot to the CD. After booting from the CD, the display asks me for a language right away. After selecting 'English', I get the option to run Ubuntu from the disk, install, test the CD, test the memory.

The problem is, any of those options I select, when I press return/enter, noting happens. I can use the arrow keys to move between options but when I press enter, nothing happens.

The enter key seems to have no effect when at the screen with the Ubuntu logo and the four options I describe above.

Any assistance provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

taurus
December 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
How fast did you burn the ISO image and what is the spec of your machine?

corn29
December 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the reply...

I believe I burned at 4x... I usually throttle the burn speed down just to be on the safe side.

My machine is a Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-53 with 1.9 GB of RAM. ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 video card.

In case you're wondering, I did download the 32 bit version.

wpshooter
December 16th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Did you do a sumcheck/verification of the ISO that you download ?

RJARRRPCGP
December 16th, 2008, 03:21 AM
->*It seems that new CD drives may ignore speeds lower than about 8X and still goes faster than 4X when selected, when 4X or lower is selected.<-*

It seems that some new CD drives refuse to burn at lower than about 8X!

corn29
December 16th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yes, I followed the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

The CD appears to be fully operastional... if the has was bad, would it still boot? It's just that pressing enter from any of the 4 choices under the Ubuntu logo doesn't do anything.

Thanks again!

falcon61102
December 16th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Yes, even if the cd was bad it could still boot and some even begin the install process.

You may want to try to burn another CD, possibly using another program that will burn it even slower. I've burnt mine with Nero and have always had good results. Also, be sure that you are using a CD-R as CD-RW can cause problems as well.