PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 8.10 error 22

Dayfd
December 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I have an older dell that has been running kubuntu without any problems. I decided to switch to ubuntu 8.10. I have downloaded the iso and have attemped an install. The insallation goes normally, however in the last moments of starting up I get the tan desktop and a mouse, but it just hangs there. Now I am also unable to boot from the cd, in an attempt to reinstall. I get grub error 22. No amount of timkering withthe system bios, boot menu, etc enables me to get beyond the error 22. In a desprate attempt I removed the hard drive and attached it via usb adapter to my vista machine to try and remove any particians, make it a clean slate. Same issue.
I then used the same install disk to load ubuntu onto an older laptop without any problems.
What on earth could be causing this? Hardware failure? CD rom failure?

Pumalite
December 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#22

Dayfd
December 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Ok after digesting the information, I wasn't able to figure out my problem, however thanks for the site, I did learn quite a bit!

I am not trying to dual install ubuntu 8.10, I just want to start again with the hard drive, fresh install.

I am unable to get anything to boot from the CD rom, it automaticly starts grub and gives error 22. Is this a hard drive issue? Format issue? Can I format the hard drive using ubuntu on another computer?