PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 8.10 wake on Lan - no luck since upgrade from hardy

barkerben
December 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi, I have read the various wol threads. I was using wol fine in Hardy, but in 8.10 I have been stumped.

I have onboard ethernet, according to lspci:

00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)

To test wake, I am using another machine on the network with:

sudo etherwake -b MACADDRESS_OF_SHUTDOWN_MACHINE

ethtool eth0 gives:

Supported ports: [ MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: external
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: g
Link detected: yes

I have also added this to the /etc/rc.local file:
ethtool -s eth0 wol g

I have also checked the BIOS, and wol is enabled

I also found this:

http://sethbc.org/2008/10/12/wake-on-lan-and-the-intrepid-ibex

Which I tried, to no effect. I noted that in the above link, it states that I should change NETDOWN=yes to NETDOWN=no...but there was no such line in my file. I added it anyway...no luck :-p

After that, I used wireshark to verify that the broadcast packet is being broadcast, which it is...

As a final check, I booted into windows 9which I rarely do) and first shutdown, then hibernated the PC. From both the shutdown and the hibernated states I was able to wol, confirming my problem lies somehwhere with the state Ubuntu leaves the machine in when it shuts down...

Any thoughts?

barkerben
December 17th, 2008, 12:28 AM
After looking at my dmesg, this was confirmed:

[ 3.297594] forcedeth: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.61.
[ 3.298083] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCH] enabled at IRQ 23
[ 3.298135] forcedeth 0000:00:14.0: PCI INT A -> Link[APCH] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
[ 3.298197] forcedeth 0000:00:14.0: setting latency timer to 64
[ 3.298219] nv_probe: set workaround bit for reversed mac addr
[ 3.540026] usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
[ 3.811800] usb 1-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 3.821479] forcedeth 0000:00:14.0: ifname eth0, PHY OUI 0x5043 @ 1, addr 00:17:31:cb:19:6a

and also

[ 34.445473] apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16ac)
[ 34.445482] apm: disabled - APM is not SMP safe.

assuming apm is advanced power management, I wonder if this could be relevant...

barkerben
December 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I wonder whether this could have any bearing:

http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg39392.html

Unsure what it is talking about, but will investigate...

barkerben
December 18th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Fixed :-)

Initially I tried using a broadcast IP (255.255.255.255) and a reversed MAC -no joy.

Then I upgraded my network manager, and tried again...

It works :-)

A unicast IP does not work however, and neither does a non-reversed MAC. Shutting down from windows this does work, so there is something odd still going on...

evenstranger
December 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Hi, I have been through a similar process, followed these instructions :
http://sethbc.org/2008/10/12/wake-on...-intrepid-ibex

And also added the line to /etc/rc.local. I haven't been able to fix the problem. Could you describe the steps you took to upgrade network manager and the wakeonlan command that you issue to get it to work ? Any help would be much appreciated.

barkerben
December 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
The upgrade of network manager was a bit of a fluke. Normally Ubuntu lets me know when it has some updates for me, but last night I went explicitly to the "Updates" screen (under System--->administration I think) and did a search for updates.

A few were found, and one of them was for network manager.

I now use php to wake my machine, but during testing used etherwake.

If this is not installed, it can be from the repositories (apt-get install etherwake)

then do etherwake -b YOUR_MAC_ADDRES_IN_REVERSE

(-b specifies a broadcast packet)

for example if your mac address is a1:b2:c3:d4:e5:f6

then use etherwake -b f6:e5:d4:c3:b2:a1

It seems this mac reversal is a know bug with the forcedeth driver. As for the need to use a broadcast packet, I don't know why that is - nother bug I assume (since when shutting down from windows I don't need to)

I did find some people talking about this problem and offering patches, but it was a bit above my head and I didn't want to risk breaking my kernel, so I decided just to live with the situation, since I can work around it.

evenstranger
December 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
thanks for the response barkerben, reversing the mac id has got it all working. cheers.

barkerben
March 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
...I changed to a new motherboard, and my problems returned. Then I removed network manager completely and replaced it with "wicd" - now everything just works, and the network is a lot easier to configure too :-)

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

waster
March 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I've made a very simple change to the forcedeth kernel module, and this ppa package uses dkms to rebuild it automatically. you can change the numbers in my patch to set a fixed mac address if forcedeth gets it wrong.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/waster/ppa/ubuntu