ide:-cd timeout: cmd 0x20 timeout
hda:dma timeout retry
hda:timeout waiting for dma
hda: status error: status=0x58
at bustbox i get:

driveready seek complete datarequest
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda:drive not ready for command

which also i got the small ubuntu to install but after boot i get the small issue i can continue to boot but i need to type exit like 8 times

icanfly0307
December 15th, 2008, 07:16 PM
What type of CD are you using (ie LiveCD, Alternate)? Those type of "timeout" errors make it look like your CD or your CD Drive is failing. what speed did you burn the CD at? Would Network Install be an option?

Sorry if I'm overwhelming you with my questions, but I don't want to leave anything out. :)

puppetj
December 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
NP about asking alot im just glad i got a reply,
Im using the cd that are free that are sent in the mail, i have same issue with other linux distros also, but windows boots and installs fine. network install would work because i still get the issue when booting up when i got the mini ubuntu installed, which installs fine but after install i get the issue at boot up like i mentioned "which also i got the small ubuntu to install but after boot i get the small issue i can continue to boot but i need to type exit like 8 times"

icanfly0307
December 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Since you're saying that Network Install would work, I'd recommend that you go ahead with that. Check out this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromWindows

PS. Make sure that you are using a WIRED internet connection and not wireless. This will reduce the risk of you messing up the install. Also, Ubuntu 8.10 is buggy and depending on your hardware, you might want to try out Ubuntu 8.04. 8.04 is better, stable, and better supported. Again, it's up to you. :)

puppetj
December 16th, 2008, 01:06 AM
yeah but why does windows install

abn91c
December 16th, 2008, 04:19 AM

make sure your cd is free of fingerprints, scratches, dirt, etc, linux is not as forgiving as a scratched up windows cd. if you have compressed air give your drive a couple of shots, like icanfly said you cdrom may be going...

puppetj
December 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
the cds are in excellent condition, i just booted aup windows and installed it again, no issues, could it be that most linux distros cant support this drive? even when i got it install using mini ubuntu i only the these errors after installing and booting to hd. so why can mini ubuntu be the only linux to boot install and fail when the others, b/c i tried like about 15 distros and they just fail to boot even before live cd boot or install.

thanks

Therion
December 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Because your Windows CD is stamped, not a "burn".

What I can suggest is trying a different media. I've found that when it comes to getting a distro to install ANYthing can make a difference, not the least of which is different brands of install media. If you're using a TDK CD, try Memorex. If you're using Memorex, try TDK. Sometimes I've had the best luck with cheap no-name media like the ones I got at the local office supply store.

Another odd-ball suggestion that worked for me was switching from a 40-wire connector cable to an 80-wire connector cable for my optical drive. Both have 40 pins, but the extra wires in the 80-wire cable filter out electromagnetic "noise" that can prevent a CD from being read properly.

You have to keep in mind that not all CD's are equal. Burning an .mp3 to a CD is one thing, but when you're trying to get an entire operating system to run off a single disc, that's a little different and even the tiniest error can turn a disc into a "coaster".

puppetj
December 16th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Because your Windows CD is stamped, not a "burn".

Please read all my posting, thanks :

and the ubuntu cds that are sent in the mail arent stamped?

and what about the mini ubuntu cd that was burned with verbatim media that worked?

the drive is using a 80 wire cable

mrbiggbrain
December 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
i hope this helps, i had a cd drive that linux kept polling ( i recived those errors) and it either wasnt polling back, or not correctly. the timeing out means the drive cant (for some reason) talk to the drive. have you tryed running with the safeboot, failsafe, or nohotplug, ect options.

in slax (my favorit live cd) this is achived by

slax nohotplug - skips hotplug detection

slax nocd - dosnt mount a single cdrom, useful if its your only cdrom and your not running off ram (as your cdrom is take up anyways)

honestly id try the nocd option if your distro has it, it can be useful for skipping hardware that always errors due to incompatible hardware/firmware or drivers.

puppetj
December 16th, 2008, 11:46 PM
i hope this helps, i had a cd drive that linux kept polling ( i recived those errors) and it either wasnt polling back, or not correctly. the timeing out means the drive cant (for some reason) talk to the drive. have you tryed running with the safeboot, failsafe, or nohotplug, ect options.

in slax (my favorit live cd) this is achived by

slax nohotplug - skips hotplug detection

slax nocd - dosnt mount a single cdrom, useful if its your only cdrom and your not running off ram (as your cdrom is take up anyways)

honestly id try the nocd option if your distro has it, it can be useful for skipping hardware that always errors due to incompatible hardware/firmware or drivers.

slax was not one i tried, but that can boot up without any commands lines that you gave me and that was on a burnt cd, so what does that mean for ubuntu?

mrbiggbrain
December 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM
it means ubuntu is trying to do something different then slax and failing. maybe ubuntu does a deeper check of the drive, or maybe ubuntu doesn't include the drivers or features needed for running the drive, did u try running slax under slax copy2ram and using the CD drive? if it gets errors trying to read then the drive is having issues with Linux and slax is just not complaining well it boots (because its getting what data it needs)

also i know that my copy of ubuntu 8.10 install has a failsafe kernel, does the livecd have one too? trying that might prove useful as it might just finish up even with errors. and i think my PC might have actual just final given up and continued CD drive or no Cd drive

puppetj
December 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
it means ubuntu is trying to do something different then slax and failing. maybe ubuntu does a deeper check of the drive, or maybe ubuntu doesn't include the drivers or features needed for running the drive, did u try running slax under slax copy2ram and using the CD drive? if it gets errors trying to read then the drive is having issues with Linux and slax is just not complaining well it boots (because its getting what data it needs)

also i know that my copy of ubuntu 8.10 install has a failsafe kernel, does the livecd have one too? trying that might prove useful as it might just finish up even with errors. and i think my PC might have actual just final given up and continued CD drive or no Cd drive

and mini ubuntu http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal boots installs fine? but after installed then boot up fails??

icanfly0307
December 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I know I've said this already. Can't you go with a Network Install? It'll save you the hassle of burning a new CD and checking it for errors. Of course, if you don't have high speed internet, it won't work. What's your bandwidth speed for your internet? Mine was around 210kB/sec and it took around an hour to install everything.

puppetj
December 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
network install maybe help to install it, but it still going to fail on start up remember?

icanfly0307
December 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
How exactly does it fail? Post the error message that you get when you use UNetBootin (see my first post on this thread.)

puppetj
December 17th, 2008, 10:33 PM
i did plenty of times...sigh look at my 1st post it the same error i get read what i said about mini ubuntu