PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no wireless connection

zeusdo
December 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I just installed Ubuntu on a laptop and I can not connect to my wireless network. What do I do to get started?

Izek
December 15th, 2008, 05:50 PM
What is your wireless card?

decoherence
December 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I just installed Ubuntu on a laptop and I can not connect to my wireless network. What do I do to get started?

Depends on what kind of wireless card you have.

Run Applications > Accessories > Terminal and type

sudo lshw -C network

copy/paste the output here.

motang
December 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
If you go to Systems->Administrator->Hardware Drivers does you wireless card showup? If it does can you activate it? (Make sure you are connected to the network hard wired when you do as it will try to install the wireless drivers).

zeusdo
December 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
What is your wireless card?

Linksys card on a laptop

zeusdo
December 15th, 2008, 06:00 PM
If you go to Systems->Administrator->Hardware Drivers does you wireless card showup? If it does can you activate it? (Make sure you are connected to the network hard wired when you do as it will try to install the wireless drivers).

It says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system"

Michael.Godawski
December 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
There are many wlan cards but only few chipsets.

Are you able to post the whole output of these commands (some are mentioned above, too) this will help us a lot.

sudo lshw -C network
iwconfig

zeusdo
December 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
There are many wlan cards but only few chipsets.

Are you able to post the whole output of these commands (some are mentioned above, too) this will help us a lot.

sudo lshw -C network
iwconfig

*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Wireless interface

when I right click on the Network icon in the taskbar it has a check next to the enable wireless

zeusdo
December 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
It says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system"

I connected via a wired connection ans was able to update and then download the broadcomm drivers, thanks for your help.

decoherence
December 15th, 2008, 07:31 PM
*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Wireless interface

Surely that wasn't EVERYTHING "sudo lshw -C network" spit out? In particular we need the lines that start with "product" and "vendor" but it's best just to give us the complete output.

In Linux-land, when people ask "what kind of wireless card do you have?" they actually mean "what kind of chipset does it use?" (purists will say that this is the same thing.) Saying it's a Linksys only tells us the brand, not the chipset. Saying it's a linksys and giving us the model number will at least let a friendly forum goer investigate what chipset it is.

Best thing, though, is the above command which should give you information on the vendor and the product. From this information we can tell you what wireless driver your system wants and what you need to do to get it working.

If you're concerned about posting personal information, you can modify the command

sudo lshw -sanitize -C network

which removes things like IP addresses and serial numbers.... not necessary for us.

Nico-dk
December 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry, thought you were done. Started my own thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6374237#post6374237)

Requested output from this thread is already there ;)

Murphy2880
December 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
hi there,
I've got the same problem!
The chipset is RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ nad the vendor is Realtek!
Pls help!
10x anyway!
BR!