PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can someone help me cook up a script?

zenkaon
December 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hello,

I am in need of a script that will change the permissions of lots of directories and files, but my scripting is rusty.

I am looking to set the chmod of all directories to 2775 and all files within those directories to 0644.

I have been recommended using:

find ./ -type d -exec chmod 2775 '{}' \;
find ./ -type f -exec chmod 0664 '{}' \;

Which would work fine if I didn't have spaces in my directory and file names. My files are organised like:

~/Some Band/There first Album/01 - Some Song.ogg

The find lines above can't find the directory "Some" or the directory "Band" and hence doesn't do what I want.

Can anyone cook up a shell script which would do what I'm after?

Cheers

mssever
December 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
find ./ -type d -exec chmod 2775 '{}' \;
find ./ -type f -exec chmod 0664 '{}' \;
Which would work fine if I didn't have spaces in my directory and file names.
Are you sure you used exactly those commands? They work for me as written with files and directories containing spaces.

mkrahmeh
December 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
you need to instruct find command to handle newlines, spaces,..etc in file names properly, here is my suggestion

find ./ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 2775
as for files, just modify the command accordingly

though its not your case, but its noteworthy that the working directory "./" will be the first to be affected by chmod, so in case the new mode prevents execution, the chmod wont be able to continue working upon inner directories
good luck..

zenkaon
December 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Cheers mkrahmeh

That's worked a treat. My permissions are all sorted now.

I'm doing this on a Western Digital MyBookWorld, which is running Linux 2.6.17.14 and didn't like my original find lines.

mkrahmeh
December 16th, 2008, 10:36 PM
glad i helped..anyway, i still dont know how to remove x mode from all directories, since the outer directory will be the first to be affected
i mean

find ./ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod a-x
will only remove the x mode for ./ and thus chmod for inner directories will be denied !!

mssever
December 16th, 2008, 11:31 PM
glad i helped..anyway, i still dont know how to remove x mode from all directories, since the outer directory will be the first to be affected
i mean

find ./ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod a-xwill only remove the x mode for ./ and thus chmod for inner directories will be denied !!
You could do it in two steps, the first being
find * .* -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod a-xBut, the OP didn't ask to clear the x bit, and good reasons to do so must be very obscure indeed.