PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Dual Monitor Help - Have to manually resize every time?

dutchhome
December 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Please let me know what info you need...

I have two monitors set up in Gnome. Both monitors are detected properly and I can change the resolution fine using System-Preferences-Screen Resolution.

The odd thing is that when I logout/login or simply reboot, the displays are messed up. The login screen shows the same image on both monitors (maybe this is by design?). Once I log in, both monitors continue to show the same image - the image from the secondary screen.

At this point, I have no visible mouse, but the system seems to be happy. The easiest way to see both displays is to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 followed by Ctrl-Alt-F7. When the display comes back, each monitor looks almost correct. The resolutions are right, but the mouse is trapped on the primary screen (the one that was not displayed before). In fact, the desktop wallpaper that is supposed to be stretched across both monitors is tiled and the mouse is trapped in the top left wallpaper tile.

I can free the mouse so it can travel anywhere on the two monitors by clicking and dragging the mouse. Once it hits the edge, the mouse can go anywhere, but all mouse clicks on the desktop outside that top-left tile are completely ignored.

If I run the screen resolution app and resize one of the displays, everything snaps back to the way its supposed to work - the wallpaper gets stretched properly and I can interact with the desktop on either monitor.

At this point, everything seems to be as it should be with one exception. I run the native Lotus Notes client and it seems to ignore all mouse clicks that happen outside the region where the top-left tile was originally.

I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this, but I have done lots of searching and can't find the solution. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Jon