PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 64bit over 32bit

AuronGrande
December 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Is it at all possible to install 64bit Ubuntu 8.10 over 32bit Ubuntu 8.10 as like an upgrade or something? Or do I have to do a fresh install?

taurus
December 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I don't think you can just jump from 32bit to 64bit without reinstalling. So, backup your personal files and do a fresh install of the 64bit version then.

AuronGrande
December 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I thought as much. I just needed confirmation. With Linux being rather modular in design, it was a worthwhile question, although a dumb sounding one.

Cheers

NSAJEFF
December 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I thought as much. I just needed confirmation. With Linux being rather modular in design, it was a worthwhile question, although a dumb sounding one.

Cheers

I wanted to do the same thing. I won't link to the document but there is ONE way of doing it but it's very ill-advised. You're better of doing a fresh install. Just don't repeat my mistake - I backed up my personal stuff but forgot all my config files! Good times.

logos34
December 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
a lot of people wonder the same thing, but at the present time you can't upgrade to a different architecture--need to do a fresh install. Maybe one day, though

AuronGrande
December 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I wanted to do the same thing. I won't link to the document but there is ONE way of doing it but it's very ill-advised. You're better of doing a fresh install. Just don't repeat my mistake - I backed up my personal stuff but forgot all my config files! Good times.

Yeah, I've done that sort of thing many a times with windows. Backing up the important things, but forgetting the little things like large lists of websites bookmarked, amongst other things.