PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] itunes and ubuntu with wine

capnthommo
December 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
hi everybody, if i change the configuration on wine to windows 98 in order to try and get itunes 7 to work/install properly will this mean that the wine/xp set up that i have already so i can use real player will be changed too? is this a universal setting and will change wine's set up for all apps i use with it?
this is a frustrator, i have too many tunes on itunes/ipod to lose them, but cant find a way of getting them to play or transfer to a different system (rhythmbox). the tunes i have left on itunes (i have salvaged all that i can) are m4p format and dont seem to want to change to any open type. please help
nigel

civillian
December 15th, 2008, 01:23 PM
before you rush off to hastily to set up wine to run itunes, might I suggest you try floola (http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/)?
It's a native linux (but cross platform) app that handles ipods really well, even the newer models and I've been using it for a few years with no problems at all.
If you want a good app to get music OFF your ipod, banshee does a really great job too.

As far as I know, the wine settings ARE global, unlike some wine based applications, like crossover linux which sets up wine configs for each application ('bottles') and wine doors which I think does a smiliar thing.

capnthommo
December 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM
hi thanks C!V!NT. i will give that a try. i haven't had a lot (ie any) of success using various ways to make my i pod work with ubuntu so far. so it's certainly worth a go.
cheers
nigel

chrisod
December 15th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Nothing on Linux is going to play encrypted m4p files. Use a Windows system to export them to CD, and then you an import them back into your Itunes library as unencrypted files that will play anywhere.

Snappo
December 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
FYI

itunes runs very badly under WINE.

dwasifar
December 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
You can run iTunes under Wine, but you can't sync your iPod to it, because there is no USB support in Wine.

Your problem with transferring your mp4/aac files out of iTunes is not a Linux problem per se; it's a deliberate impediment set for you by Apple to prevent you from freely transferring your music. You would have the same problem trying to move them to another Windows box.

I understand there are DRM stripping programs available that will remove the protection from some types of DRM-protected files. I don't know if you can use them in your particular situation, but it wouldn't hurt to poke around on Google. Most people just swear a lot, burn the songs to CD and re-rip them to mp3 with the resulting loss in quality, and vow never ever ever to buy music in a protected format again.

capnthommo
December 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
okay everybody. this is all pretty much what i was beginning to suspect - no real way round the problem :( i shall just have to do the cd burn thing. long winded and time consuming but that's what you get isn't it? either that or just work over two systems, but that'snot really a solution is it? never mind, onward and upward! thanks again
nigel
):P