PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] evolution crashes and close when saving file or backup

afeasfaerw23231233
December 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
evolution crashes and close when saving file or backup. What can i do to fix it ? how can i save my mail?
i am running evolution 2.12.1 and ubuntu 7.10. would anyone help me please? thanks!
here 's what i got when starting evolution from terminal

wong@wong-desktop:~$ evolution
CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
evolution-shell-Message: Killing old version of evolution-data-server...
wong@wong-desktop:~$

edit: firefox also crashes when saving / exporting the bookmarks. oh i just want to do a back up and everything crashes and close!!

Michael.Godawski
December 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
hi afeasfaerw23231233,

make sure you have all updates installed for the package
evolution-data-server.

There seems to be a conflict between older versions of Evolutions.
Run in terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Also enable the proposed and backports update sources and check if there are any updates available.

afeasfaerw23231233
December 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
i've just done the following but still doesn't work

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
please help! my mobo has problem and i have to replace it (i already bought a new one) i just want to back up my mail. many thanks!

howefield
December 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Try running these command in terminal

cd Desktop

tar cvfz mybackup.tgz ~/.evolution

That should produce an archive on you desktop, change "mybackup" to whatever you want it to be. You can then copy/move the backtp to a safe place.

Edit :
Sorry just noticed you are running 7.10, the above works in 8.10. You might need other folders backed up as well as this one. I'll take a look and post back.

afeasfaerw23231233
December 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
i've already run your command . does that .tgz contain all my mail archives? After a reinstallation of my system how can i import them? thanks so much for your help
that .tgz is about 80MB in size

afeasfaerw23231233
December 16th, 2008, 03:55 AM
bump

howefield
December 16th, 2008, 07:01 PM
does that .tgz contain all my mail archives? After a reinstallation of my system how can i import them?

Yes, it is simply an archive of your evolution folder which contains your emails, accounts settings etc. Double click the file to open check you have everything you need.

As I said, I wrote my reply based on Intrepid, then noticed you are on Gutsy, so it might be slightly different. A google search would probably tell you.

To pack the file, open a terminal and navigate to where you have placed the .tgz file and type (change mybackup to whatever you named the file).

tar xvfz mybackup.tgz

Then move to it's rightful place.