PDA

View Full Version : LaTeX spaces and titles

nitro_n2o
December 15th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

I'm not sure where should a general question about latex should go, but I think that since latex could be described by some BNF form then it should go into programming :)

I'm currently writing something in latex with a title using: \maketitle the problem is that latex chooses to waste so much space above the title. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem. If I can just raise the title by 2/3 lines then I'll be good to go

Thanks a lot

Zugzwang
December 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM
In fact, there is no "real" LaTeX BNF that also captures the possible commands you can use. The main reason is that these are defined at runtime by the packages you load.

First of all, if you want to raise the title, try using a different document class. There's plenty of them available on the net. If you like to change some detail of an existing style, you will need to re-define commands or define your own \maketitle. The simplest way is possibly copy one of these implementations from a already existing file.

Apart from that, LaTeX customizing not a simple task since there exists no comprehensive documentation that also talks about how the internal commands interact. If you are lucky, you can find some package that does what you want.

BTW, you can also try to make your own titling using the "regular" commands:

\begin{center}
{\Huge Your title} \\
\textbf{Your name} \\
\today
\end{center}

nitro_n2o
December 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply, i was hoping if latex could such a simple thing on its own. It turns out that this title issue is painful

i'll trust you on the BNF issue :) although in theory BNF does not tell you the command you can use, it is mere definition of acceptable syntax. The unlimited possible latex commands originate from a set of conventions that are describable in some BNF language..

never mind my silly BNF intro, I haven't slept for a while and I could be possibly making no sense

Thanks again

7raTEYdCql
December 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Well i will disagree as far as the simplicity of python goes. Python is useful in almost all cases. And much easier to use than you other "Text Editors" without doubt.

hessiess
December 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
If you want to make the used part of the page larger, use these commands.

\addtolength{\textwidth}{1.5cm} %width of text
\addtolength{\textheight}{4cm} %height of text
\addtolength{\topmargin}{-1.2cm} %topmargen

Well i will disagree as far as the simplicity of python goes. Python is useful in almost all cases. And much easier to use than you other "Text Editors" without doubt.

What has python got to do with LaTeX?

monkeyking
December 16th, 2008, 05:32 AM

What has python got to do with LaTeX?

My thought excatly, I guess the guy likes python :)

kjohansen
December 16th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I use a full page style that can be customized some, it has the effect of moving the title since it expands the text range. Not exaclty what you were asking for but I hae always found this style useful.

put this in fullpage.sty and call \usepackage{fullpage} at the top of your document.

% This is FULLPAGE.STY by H.Partl, Version 2 as of 15 Dec 1988.
% Document Style Option to fill the paper just like Plain TeX.

\typeout{Style Option FULLPAGE Version 2 as of 15 Dec 1988}

\topmargin 0pt
\advance \topmargin by -\headheight
\advance \topmargin by -\headsep

\textheight 8.9in

\oddsidemargin 0pt
\evensidemargin \oddsidemargin
\marginparwidth 0.5in

\textwidth 6.5in

% For users of A4 paper: The above values are suited for american 8.5x11in
% paper. If your output driver performs a conversion for A4 paper, keep
% those values. If your output driver conforms to the TeX standard (1in/1in),
% then you should add the following commands to center the text on A4 paper:

% \advance\hoffset by -3mm % A4 is narrower.
% \advance\voffset by 8mm % A4 is taller.

\endinput

Note: This style file is stolen from the internet and I do not remember the source to credit.