PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I do a surface scan?

sternkanz
December 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM
In windows I know I just do checkdisk... is there an easy way to do this in ubuntu?

Please consider me a total n00b in regard to this... someone recommended smartctl but I have no idea how to use it and the gui for it needs to be .configure/make/make installed whatever that means.

If anyone can help I'm very grateful thanks!

tgalati4
December 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM
sudo apt-get install badblocks
sudo badblocks /dev/sda

Go for a walk.

sternkanz
December 16th, 2008, 08:47 PM
thank you!

doobiest
December 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
fsck.ext3 -c will check for bad blocks. this is built in so you dont need to install anything.

if it's not and ext3 filesystem, from a terminal type 'fsck.' then hit tab. It will pull up a list of supported filesystems:

doobiest@LinuxBox:/etc/apache2$ fsck.
fsck.cramfs fsck.ext2 fsck.ext3 fsck.ext4 fsck.ext4dev fsck.minix fsck.msdos fsck.nfs fsck.reiserfs fsck.vfat

miros84
December 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I cannot find where to go to put new messege. I mean new post.

sternkanz
June 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM
sudo apt-get install badblocks
sudo badblocks /dev/sda

Go for a walk.

Sorry to dredge up an old post, I never got around to doing this unfortunately but now I once again have my hands on the PC with the problem and when I put in:

sudo badblocks /dev/sda

it just sits there until I press Ctrl+C. Will it show me the results eventually? It just didn't seem like it was doing anything.

doobiest
June 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry to dredge up an old post, I never got around to doing this unfortunately but now I once again have my hands on the PC with the problem and when I put in:

sudo badblocks /dev/sda

it just sits there until I press Ctrl+C. Will it show me the results eventually? It just didn't seem like it was doing anything.

I would recommend you follow my previous post. That should do it, and if you did that and it didnt do it, let me know.