PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Slideshow in Thunar

Stavro
December 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying out Xubuntu 8.04 and was wondering if there is any way to replicate the "Slideshow" function found in Windows 2000 and beyond in Thunar when browsing a folder full of photos?

Any help would be most appreciated.

john.nicholls
December 15th, 2008, 08:23 AM
It depends on what program you use to view your photos. If you open one photo, you can see if that program offers a slideshow option.

John

mali2297
December 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying out Xubuntu 8.04 and was wondering if there is any way to replicate the "Slideshow" function found in Windows 2000 and beyond in Thunar when browsing a folder full of photos?

Any help would be most appreciated.

For someone who hasn't used Windows 2000, can you describe the feature?

You might be able to replicate the feature with a custom action and, for instance, feh.

Stavro
December 16th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. Regarding describing the function in Windows 2000, it is sort-of like a hyperlink contained within a left-hand pane when browsing folders. This picture is helpful even though it's from ME:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winme_b3_26.gif

Stavro
December 16th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Ahem, just a quick clarification, I'm not sure if Windows 2000 has this feature after all, but I know ME does.

mali2297
December 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
My proposal is to install the image viewer feh (via the package manager) and create a custom action (http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/documentation/custom_actions).

Set up the custom action like this:

Name: View as slideshow
Command: feh -F -D5 %d
File pattern: *
Appears if selection contains: Image Files

Now you can right-click on an image file and select View as slideshow. You will see all images in the same directory as a slideshow with 5 seconds delay and in fullscreen. The image viewer has a right-click menu with options.

If you don't want to automatically change slides, then remove -D5 from the command above. Likewise, if you don't want fullscreen, remove the -F option.