PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Boot Error" when trying to boot from 8.10 bootable thumb drive

ratdog
December 14th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hello,
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 on an older windows system with no CDROM drive.
I've used the "Create a USB startup disk" app in Intrepid to create a bootable 1G thumb drive.
I have setup the BIOS on the old system to boot from USB (it gives me 2 usb options:USB FDD and USB ZIP, I have tried them both with the same results).
When I try to boot from the thumb drive it gets past the system tests and just says "Boot error"
The old system had an ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard with a BIOS from 2003. Is this system too old? I'm confused because it does give me the option to boot from USB in the BIOS.
Any info greatly appreciated.

logos34
December 15th, 2008, 12:13 AM
does the machine have an OS installed? windows, another linux?

Edit: nm, you said 'older windows system', duh

Try this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromWindows
('CD image approach' or automatic)

ratdog
December 15th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Yeah, it has Windows 2000 installed. I can access the USB drive from within windows and run the Ubuntu installer, but to do a fresh install the only way I see is to boot from the disk. Is there another way? I want windows off of there completely!
Thanks

logos34
December 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM
if you decide to use the cd image approach and have any questions, let me know. Haven't tried it in around a year but it used to work great

ratdog
December 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Cool, I will try UNetbootin.

ratdog
December 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM
UNetbootin didn't work for me :(

I used an .iso I already downloaded and installed to another machine just fine. When I rebooted to the Ubuntu installer, I got some error like "ATA2: link is slow to respond, please be patient." then "ATA2: SRST FAILED"

There is also another error when scanning scsi drives.
"Driver 'sd' needs updating - please use bus_type methods"
Does this mean I need to update the BIOS?

Does anyone have any other idea for how to install from the thumb drive.
I'm about to throw this old machine in the dumpster!

logos34
December 15th, 2008, 03:07 AM
"ATA2: link is slow to respond, please be patient." then "ATA2: SRST FAILED"

found this over at launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/220706

might want to search there for info on the other message.

maybe try the cd image approach but its possible you'll end up with same errors

ratdog
December 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I actually did try it from the cd image because there is no internet access where that computer is right now.