PDA

View Full Version : One of those WTF moments

magmon
December 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I ejected a disk today and accidently pulled the entire drive from my laptop xD. Anyone else have an odd moment like this recently?

chucky chuckaluck
December 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM
sounds like too much cowbell.

billgoldberg
December 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I ejected a disk today and accidently pulled the entire drive from my laptop xD. Anyone else have an odd moment like this recently?

How about plugging in the power supply in your laptop and it immediatly catches fire?

Giant Speck
December 14th, 2008, 11:57 PM
sounds like too much cowbell.

Or not enough cowbell...

Grant A.
December 15th, 2008, 12:12 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cd_tray_fight.png

wolfen69
December 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM

no. iv'e never done that. even when drunk.

linuxguymarshall
December 15th, 2008, 12:47 AM
It was about 2 years ago but I unplugged my flash drive from a old dell laptop (About 7 years old at the time) and the USB port came out with it

Joshua Wells
December 15th, 2008, 12:49 AM
How about opening firefox and your HDD exploding?

linuxguymarshall
December 15th, 2008, 12:55 AM

:lolflag:

sisco311
December 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM

firefox is a killer app. :lolflag: (did you try seamonkey)

a cd exploded a few years ago in my cd rom. the drive is still working. :)

MaxIBoy
December 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Lifted up a laptop, heard a crackling noise...

The photos are kinda out of focus, but the PCB was sticking out of the plastic casing and the plug was bent.

magmon
December 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Lol to the robot war. Did any of you actually have your computer catch fire O.O?

Giant Speck
December 15th, 2008, 04:23 AM
My mother had a computer with 512MB of RAM running XP, and it was running great for a couple years... until the top of the hard drive overheated, warped, and collapsed into itself.

magmon
December 15th, 2008, 04:25 AM
My mother had a computer with 512MB of RAM running XP, and it was running great for a couple years... until the top of the hard drive overheated, warped, and collapsed into itself.

LOL, what caused that?! Broken fans or what lol?

Giant Speck
December 15th, 2008, 04:30 AM
LOL, what caused that?! Broken fans or what lol?

I don't remember. It was a long time ago. All I really remember is how upset my mother was because the 40GB hard drive we used was outdated and really hard to find.

tgalati4
December 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Need . . . more . . . cowbell . . .

magmon
December 15th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Wow. That sucks man! When I was like 9, I punched the side of my desktop cuz it was ******* me off, and cracked the hard drive. Needless to say, it didnt work any more xD

Btw, wtf is this cowbell shtuff?

MikeTheC
December 15th, 2008, 04:33 AM
firefox is a killer app. :lolflag: (did you try seamonkey)

a cd exploded a few years ago in my cd rom. the drive is still working. :)

I've had customers who've had that happen to them. BTW, incidentally and all that, you know there is a *reason* CD drives don't spin faster than 52x, right?

Giant Speck
December 15th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Btw, wtf is this cowbell shtuff?

It's an internet meme that is based off this Saturday Night Live skit:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1017105/more_cowbell/

magmon
December 15th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Hmm, have you ever seen that mithbusters episode? They blew some disks up, was coooool lol.

I dont get whats up with the cowbell?

zmjjmz
December 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I've bent a flash drive before. It worked, but then I lost it :P

magmon
December 15th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Lol. I dont have any cool damaged hardware... How do you bend a flash drive btw O.O?

Grant A.
December 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I used my CD tray as a cup holder once when I was 6. The computer tipped over, got coke all over it, and shorted out.

Giant Speck
December 15th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I've bent a flash drive before. It worked, but then I lost it :P

I had the same thing happen, except it was the wireless receiver for my Microsoft mouse. And it bent because I dropped the laptop on the ground.

Miraculously, both the laptop and the receiver still worked!

magmon
December 15th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I used my CD tray as a cup holder once when I was 6. The computer tipped over, got coke all over it, and shorted out.

#

True story from a Novell NetWare Sysop:
Caller: "Hello, is this Tech Support?"
Tech: "Yes, it is. How may I help you?"
Caller: "The cup holder on my PC is broken and I am within my warranty period. How do I go about getting that fixed?"
Tech: "I'm sorry, but did you say a cup holder?"
Caller: "Yes, it's attached to the front of my computer."
Tech: "Please excuse me. If I seem a bit stumped, it's because I am. Did you receive this as part of a promotional at a trade show? How did you get this cup holder?
Caller: It came with my computer. I don't know anything about a promotion. It just has '4X' on it."
At this point, the Tech Rep had to mute the caller because he couldn't stand it. He was laughing too hard. The caller had been using the load drawer of the CD-ROM drive as a cup holder and snapped it off the drive.

http://mistupid.com/people/page032.htm

zmjjmz
December 15th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I bent the flash drive when I tried to stick it in my case with my Thinkpad for a presentation.
It worked, but it clearly was not my brightest move.

wirepuller134
December 15th, 2008, 07:23 AM
The worst thing we have had happen was at a customers plant. We had built a ph/chlorine monitoring system for their chillers. I was standing next to the chillers and a production worker bumped into me, It only took 45 minutes for it to come out the other end. I don't know what was worse, waiting for it to come out or watching the water run out of it after I got it back. Needless to say we had to replace the laptop.

-grubby
December 15th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I also bent my flash drive. It didn't work for about a day, and then miraculously started working for no reason. Good thing I didn't throw it away.

magmon
December 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Lol, this is giving me a new meaning for the term get bent...

markp1989
December 17th, 2008, 12:23 AM

i done that before, pushed it back,made a lound clunk. and it still worked.

ajcham
December 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I once had a laptop with what I thought was a dodgy power cable, but rather than getting it fixed under warranty I was able to twist and bend the cable slightly to get it to work.

As the months passed the twisting and bending was becoming less effective so I had to gradually bend and twist more and more. I was already at the stage where I couldn't remove the battery when running on mains, as power could cut out without notice, so I needed the backup to give me time to re-establish the connection.

After about a year and a half the battery was so badly shot that in the event of power disconnecting I had just about enough time to perform a safe shutdown before I lost battery. Soon after I couldn't get power to work at all.

Mourning the loss of my laptop I decided to perform a post-mortem, and found that after all that time it hadn't been the power cord at fault (although, it was by that stage in pretty bad shape) but the socket to which it connected, which had split into several parts. The pins were no longer soldered to the board, and the board itself was badly scorched. It was only at that point that I realised how potentially dangerous the laptop I had been using for so long actually was.

markp1989
December 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I once had a laptop with what I thought was a dodgy power cable, but rather than getting it fixed under warranty I was able to twist and bend the cable slightly to get it to work.

As the months passed the twisting and bending was becoming less effective so I had to gradually bend and twist more and more. I was already at the stage where I couldn't remove the battery when running on mains, as power could cut out without notice, so I needed the backup to give me time to re-establish the connection.

After about a year and a half the battery was so badly shot that in the event of power disconnecting I had just about enough time to perform a safe shutdown before I lost battery. Soon after I couldn't get power to work at all.

Mourning the loss of my laptop I decided to perform a post-mortem, and found that after all that time it hadn't been the power cord at fault (although, it was by that stage in pretty bad shape) but the socket to which it connected, which had split into several parts. The pins were no longer soldered to the board, and the board itself was badly scorched. It was only at that point that I realised how potentially dangerous the laptop I had been using for so long actually was.

i had a laptop with similar fault, a few years ago, i got a family memember to open up the laptop, cut the connection of of the wire and the laptop, then solder it direct, only problem was i couldnt unplug the power block from the laptop, worked like it for a while, untill i droped it.

Grant A.
December 17th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I pulled the AV cables out of my T.V. for my 360 and the whole port came out. I was able to stick it back in, however.

ajcham
December 17th, 2008, 02:04 AM
i had a laptop with similar fault, a few years ago, i got a family memember to open up the laptop, cut the connection of of the wire and the laptop, then solder it direct, only problem was i couldnt unplug the power block from the laptop, worked like it for a while, untill i droped it.

Funnily enough I had exactly the same idea - I even had the power cord trimmed down in preparation. I tried to borrow a soldering iron from a friend, and he thought I was insane when I told him the plan. At the time I figured he was far more experienced than me in that area, so I gave up on the idea and salvaged a few pieces from the machine (my friend was glad of the CD-writer - maybe that was his plan all along!). I think I still have the LCD lying around somewhere - no idea what I ever hoped to do with it.