PDA

View Full Version : Parallel to USB convertor

I Am Death
December 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Hi There,

I have been using computers since the 80's, Spectrums, QLs, XT PCs, AT PCs, And now this Dual Core AMD Beast. After all this time I have got around to trying Linux. I should have done it sooner as I am very impressed with Ubuntu. I have now come up against a problem that I cannot solve, and I would be very grateful if anyone could help.
I have an old Epson Stylus 600 printer I would love to get running on Ubuntu. The problem is that the new Motherboards do not have parallel ports. I have purchased an parallel to USB conversion cable, but have no idea how to get it running with Ubuntu. I could possibly us a parallel to serial converter, but that would not be half as much fun. Besides I always was a stubbon old cuss.
Many Thanks,
I Am Death

pp.
December 14th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Have you already tried to configure the printer? It has to be connected to the PC and switched on. Chances are that Ubuntu recognizes at least that there's something attached.

Failing that, I think I would look for a cheap printer server (what would amount to a ethernet to centronics "adapter").