PDA

View Full Version : "Work from home" jobs

dannytatom
December 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I recently got fired from my job, and I'm having a hard time finding a new one. I live in a pretty small town (5,000 people), and nobody is hiring.

Does anyone know of any work-from-home tech support jobs, or anything similar that's not a total scam?

This seems to be my only real option. :/

R.Bucky
December 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Move away from that small town!

dannytatom
December 14th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Well I plan on going to Valencia, CA for college (CalArts). But, I can't afford it 'til I get some money/credit built up. :(

xpod
December 14th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Go get 5000 cards/fliers printed up advertising your IT skills and then post them around town.Once you have acquired all 5000 customers get some kinda remote assistance set up on them all so you dont even have have to leave your house to keep their MSNs` & Facebooks running smoothly;-)

Or.....

Move away from that small town!

squeabs
December 14th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Local advertising sounds like a good idea. However, every time someone asks me to fix their computer and I tell them I'll have to charge them, they get this grimace on their face and tell me they need to think about it.

dannytatom
December 14th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I tell them I'll have to charge them, they get this grimace on their face and tell me they need to think about it.

Same. I've been trying to get into freelance design also, but I get the same response. People seem to think tech support, websites, logos, etc should be free. :(

BobLand
December 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Make a leaflet to post in various stores. On it, post prices, something like: computer repairs $xxx per hr, web design $xxx per hr or page...that sort of thing. That way, people will know you are a professional and wont bug you for freebies (much).

You may want to offer some stores a big discount..."35% off this month only" sort of thing or "free home page design with any web design offer."

Try super markets, groceries, stationary stores, general stores, post office, fire house, police...any place where business is done to the public.

I'd advise against posting on light poles as that gives you a cheap look.

Add a bit of information about yourself to let people know you are a homeboy.

Give lessons on how to buy and sell on ebay, how to use facebook (etc), how to use the internet, how to set up email, how to select an isp.

In fact, you may be able to offer ISP services as well using wireless.

Hope this stimulates some ideas for you!

Happy Holidays,
bobland