PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install goes to "initramfs" or says "Detect and Mount CD-Rom"

NuWeb
December 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hello.
I bought myself a new laptop, So my old one is going spare. What a great opportunity to setup Ubuntu on it "test the water".

Install 1:
I downloaded the Ubuntu 8.10 and burned it to ISO. Every time I try and install it goes to initramfs. I can not see any command to install it from here.

Install 2
So when I messed with that, with no success I tried the Text based installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate). This let me enter some settings, but before installation started it said "Detect and Mount CD-ROM" followed by "Your Installation CD-ROM coul't be mounted" but the CD-Rom is in the drive! and burned successfully!

Info
Im running Packard Bell Easynote, It has XP installed but hopefully not soon if i can get Ubuntu on.

Any help much appreciated i tried ubuntu IRC but with no replies. Id hate not to be able to try ubuntu desktop!

Much Thanks

NuWeb
December 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
If no one has any ideas, Is it possible to install Ubuntu via my new laptop on portable drive, then use that portable drive in my old laptop?

If so can i do it without damaging the PC im doing it on (as in messing paartions or booting)

ASTP001
December 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'm having a smilar problem. I'm trying to boot from a CD and it takes me to something that says busybox... but it will not boot ubuntu...:( anyone help?

NuWeb
December 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
ASTP001, Yes initramfs but before it says BusyBox too.
I read that this is where Ubuntu drops too once instalation fails. Lets hope we can find a explination of what were doing wrong.

RJARRRPCGP
December 18th, 2008, 03:45 AM
It likely has failed to detect the IDE controller. (also applies to SATA!)

But that problem usually don't occur, at least when you have the current release.

NuWeb
February 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I have just tried again, with the latest release of Ubuntu. I get the same problems.

As for hardrive i have Western Digital WD1600BEVE-00UYT0 (new) running on Packard Bell Easynote MV51-1200.