PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newb question to dual OS anld Ubuntu

MuleMarine
December 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm brand spanking new to ubuntu and Linux, but so far it appears pretty cool. I'm trying to install with double OS (vista). When I get to the install partition part I get three options:
1. Guided - use entire disk (scsi.....)
2. Guided - use largest continuous free space
3. Manual

I've created a second partition in vista that I want to install ubuntu to, but when I click the first option it appears like it's going to use 90% of the drive for ubuntu and like 10% for vista (it's a clean install for both). I can't seem to be able to change or tell ubuntu to install to the partition that I created for it. When I click "proceed" I get the warning message that any forward action cannot be "undone", or something like that. I really want to install ubuntu to the "E" partition I created and leave vista on the "C" partition I created. Thanks.

2hot6ft2
December 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I'm brand spanking new to ubuntu and Linux, but so far it appears pretty cool. I'm trying to install with double OS (vista). When I get to the install partition part I get three options:
1. Guided - use entire disk (scsi.....)
2. Guided - use largest continuous free space
3. Manual

I've created a second partition in vista that I want to install ubuntu to, but when I click the first option it appears like it's going to use 90% of the drive for ubuntu and like 10% for vista (it's a clean install for both). I can't seem to be able to change or tell ubuntu to install to the partition that I created for it. When I click "proceed" I get the warning message that any forward action cannot be "undone", or something like that. I really want to install ubuntu to the "E" partition I created and leave vista on the "C" partition I created. Thanks.
Choosing #1 will use just as it says the entire disk you want #3 manual so you can choose where it goes

Disk is a drive the whole drive
Partition is a predefined portion of a disk

MuleMarine
December 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Choosing #1 will use just as it says the entire disk you want #3 manual so you can choose where it goes

Disk is a drive the whole drive
Partition is a predefined portion of a disk

THanks, one more question. What's the root I'm installing to? I get something like a /win or /dos option.