PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] How do we enable/disable demons on boot?

PryGuy
December 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Good day!
I have a question, how do we enable/disable demons on boot? I have X installed for instance and I do not want to start it on boot on my server. How do I disable it. I speak of CLI solution only of course.

Iowan
December 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm sure there is a more elegant way - otherwise, you could edit the rcX.d directories. For example, change S10xserver-xorg-input-wacom to s10xserver-xorg-input-wacom to disable it. (Ideally, the "K" values should be changed in other runlevels.)

iponeverything
December 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Install and run this nice little utility

apt-get install sysvconfig

run it with;

sysvconfig

PryGuy
December 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I'm sure there is a more elegant wayYep, that's what I'm talking about :)

So if I want to disable GDM I have to rename all links to gdm in all rcX.d dirs? Well, I've read that init during startup on Debian is a mess actually...

iponeverything, sysvconfig is a charm, thank you! I'll definitely take in on account. But there should be a basic tool for that. There should be config files for hand editing. I couldn't find them... :( How do we choose which runlevel to start in general?

PryGuy
December 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
This article is cool (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/prevent-xorg-from-starting-in-linux/), people!\\:D/

The following line solved my problem:

sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
You can get gdm start on boot again with this:

sudo update-rc.d -f gdm defaults
Use it only if you know what you do!