PDA

View Full Version : Do you like christmas music?

myusername
December 14th, 2008, 07:59 AM
This is not religion flamebait so dont bring it up. but do u like christmas music? the only christmas music i like is step into christmas by elton john and that one by john lennon which escapes me at the momnent

RiceMonster
December 14th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I like Trans Siberian Orchestra, who I'll be seeing very soon. Other than that, no (so I voted no). I find Christmas music annoying. Hearing the same music over and over every year gets really tiring.

gettinoriginal
December 14th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Like you, I have selected few that I do like, but I had to vote yes, as if I said no then it negates the ones I do.

All I want for christmas is you and of course, I'll be home for christmas

wolfen69
December 14th, 2008, 08:26 AM
that one by john lennon which escapes me at the momnent

you mean Happy Christmas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfEGETyGjs)?

dannytatom
December 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I like the old soul christmas songs. ;o

jpyper
December 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
This is not religion flamebait so dont bring it up. but do u like christmas music? the only christmas music i like is step into christmas by elton john and that one by john lennon which escapes me at the momnent

That would be Happy Christmas (War is Over).

I have 2 Christmas albums that I have handy. First is Alvin & The Chipmunks Christmas. Second is Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics. Both are from cartoons, but depending on my mood is which one will get played.

techmarks
December 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I never tire of hearing different versions of "Sleigh Ride", "Have yourself a merry little Christmas", "Silent Night", "What Child is this?"...etc..

"The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole, it's so good.

I like the Christmas music.

Merry Christmas!

Rokurosv
December 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
If I hear the same song everyday then no, otherwise I don't mind Xmas music.

myusername
December 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
ha i kinda feel bad cause im a huge beatles/lennon fan and i couldnt remember it...perhaps im tired.

mips
December 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
the only christmas music i like is step into christmas by elton john and that one by john lennon which escapes me at the momnent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QzBXmPne-8

I absolutely love the version done by The Corrs. First time I heard it was on one of their DVD's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74aS7EDVF2g

gn2
December 14th, 2008, 11:16 AM
The only Christmas song I like is "Suddenly it's Christmas" by Loudon Wainwright III

DougieFresh4U
December 14th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I never tire of hearing different versions of "Sleigh Ride", "Have yourself a merry little Christmas", "Silent Night", "What Child is this?"...etc..

"The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole, it's so good.

I like the Christmas music.

Merry Christmas!
I don't care for Christmas music, but Vanessa Williams has an excellent version of "Sleigh Ride"
I never heard until a few nites ago when a movie on TV, I think it was "A Divas Christmas" or some thing like that, in which Vanessa stars in it and sang the song "Sleigh Ride"
When I heard the song, it didn't have that 'Christmas music melody'
and I actually play the song once a day now.\\:D/

imag1narynumber
December 14th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Even though I'm an atheist, I love the Christmas season. I grew up in a household that played a lot of Christmas music, most of it not particularly religious. A lot of instrumentals, that sort of thing. So I do really enjoy the music and the family-togetherness, warm-and-coziness. I do NOT, however, like it when retail treats Thanksgiving as only a slight speedbump en route to Christmas buying.

Bölvağur
December 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I voted no, because I dont like most christmas music. there are few but on average I am not too found of it.

chucky chuckaluck
December 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM
i absolutely despise it. i teach at a music school and it's not unusual for a bunch of the little buggers to start butchering the traditional slop as early as october. (i have my own "not until after thanksgiving" policy).

jomiolto
December 14th, 2008, 02:37 PM
A definite "no" with very few exceptions. There are a few "Christmassy" songs that I don't mind, but I can't think any at the moment.

nick09
December 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Heck no. I once thought I should just kill myself(no mp3 player = Christmas music stuck in my head).

mobilediesel
December 14th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Christmas music was great when I was 6 years old. Less great every year since.

bufsabre666
December 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
i despise christmas music cause its so repetitive. that usually doesnt bother me with music but what led to me hating it is a local radio station (star 102.5 for my local homies) from thanksgiving on plays nothing but christmas music, it bothers me cause they usually play the best variety of music that most people will tolerate ((i wont say best music as im a metal head and they mostly play pop/soft rock but at work its nice to have music most people like))

init1
December 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Looks like SomaFM has Christmas music now
http://somafm.com/play/christmas

johnb820
December 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Somafm has been putting up christmas music for years. Of course, the Christmas lounge station features sweet remixes of old worn out songs keeping it nice, chillin, and deep. Xmas in Frisco, I am not so familiar with.

gjoellee
December 14th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I don't like christmas music, I think the christmas is bloated, everything you to is eat and open presents. THe meaning of christmas is destroyed!

MikeTheC
December 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
if i hear the same song everyday then no, otherwise i don't mind xmas music.

+1

getaboat
December 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Played way too much chart.....

1) Slade
2) Wizard
3) Band Aid

I'm sorry I can't go on....trying to recall them means humming them.

Bearable chart....
1) John Lennon
2) Pogues + Kirsty McCall

err... that's it.

cardinals_fan
December 14th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I like some of the old classical stuff like Greensleeves and Carol of the Bells. All the obnoxious rubbish like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is nauseating.

HermanAB
December 14th, 2008, 07:21 PM
A few years ago some Wal-Mart employees successfully sued the chain for playing carols non-stop. The Judge agreed that it is a form of torture. I can't agree more.

MikeTheC
December 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I don't mind a discrete amount of Christmas music, especially over the course of perhaps the last week-and-a-half, maybe two (tops), leading up to Christmas Day, but that's about all I can take.

Any more than that and I feel like placing an Acme Portable Hole under the radio station in question.

Denestria
December 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ugh, I hate Christmas music. Unless it's Christmas in Hollis.
:lolflag:

kellemes
December 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Generally dislike it.

mkendall
December 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
If it ain't Arthur Fiedler or Burl Ives, it ain't crap. Okay, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "I Believe in Father Christmas" is good, and Jethro Tull's "Christmas Song" doesn't suck to high heaven, but all the rest is crap. Pure, unadulterated crap.

magmon
December 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Nope. Most horrid BS ever to be accepted as music. Wtf does jingle bells even mean???

originalfragster
December 15th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Nope. Most horrid BS ever to be accepted as music. Wtf does jingle bells even mean???

One of lifes great questions there magmon

I've always loved the song "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" and "Snoopys christmas" always goes down a treat. Its never christmas until I hear those two songs.

Yes
December 15th, 2008, 02:33 AM

They're bells that you might put on horses that make a jingling sound.

I love the Christmas season, so hearing Christmas songs always seems to pick up my spirit. They can definitely be overplayed though, and I would never listen to them while I do work or something.

Grant A.
December 15th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Did a guy name yes just reply to a poll? I hope he didn't vote no. :lol:

It's not bad, I rather like the good feeling and aura that Christmas time seems to give off. Plus, I love being reminded of presents. :mrgreen:

KiwiNZ
December 15th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Some yes some no , it does no harm

If it brings happiness to some then its all a good thing

schauerlich
December 15th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I'm not a big fan of it. I work at a movie theater, and when we're cleaning theaters all they play is Christmas music. It's really annoying.

yabbadabbadont
December 15th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I like Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas albums, and Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Polygon
December 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM
No. Oh my gosh no. i work at a bookstore, and they just turned the christmas xm radio station on, i seriously hear the same 10 songs over and over, sung by different people

trans siberian orchestra is an exception, as well as a few other ones (mostly music i have not heard before 5 bazillion times), but overall i despise christmas music

MikeTheC
December 15th, 2008, 06:42 AM
i like mannheim steamroller's christmas albums, and vince guaraldi trio's "a charlie brown christmas".
+1

trans siberian orchestra
+1

HermanAB
December 15th, 2008, 06:46 AM
My favourite Christmas Carol is "Hell's Bells" by AC/DC.

Cheers,

Herman

-grubby
December 15th, 2008, 07:03 AM
my favourite christmas carol is "hell's bells" by ac/dc.

Cheers,

herman

+1

Greyed
December 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I voted no but wanted to explain the caveats.

First, the main reason I don't like it isn't because it is religious (even though I am Atheist) but because stores pipe it out starting in October now! I'm sorry, but any music repeated for 3 months gets old fast. As proof I also don't listen to pop radio for the same reason. My iPod doesn't get daily play for the same reason. I like the music but every freakin' day for months is bad.

Second, ever since Mannheim Steamroller (http://shop.mannheimsteamroller.com/) butchered Christmas music I have not been able to stomach it. My loathing for all things Steamroller came to a head the year I really, really needed to find a good copy of "Carol of the Bells" and all I could find was the ruined Steamroller version. That song has always had a feeling of longing and loss to me. To set that to an upbeat pop tempo just kills it. Trans-Siberian Orchestra's metal-esque arrangement ain't helping much, either.

Finally, as you've probably guessed, there is one Christmas song I do like so that no is a qualified "I don't like most Christmas music." And while I do like "Carol of the Bells" I am not like the stores and start throwing it into my musical rotation come October. I play it once or twice a year during the season as the mood strikes. It is a treat to be savored, not mindlessly set to repeat. That is how Christmas should be, to. It is a special time and what makes it so special is in its rarity.

tnseditor
December 15th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I love almost all Christmas music (classic, pop, rock, etc.) except country. I play Christmas music on and off throughout the year. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. I enjoy the sounds, smells, meaning, and lights of the Christmas season. Pandora has good music year round, but sometimes they play the same songs over and over, which seems to be the case with the song "This Christmas" which can get a bit old after a while.

As a side note, this year I hope to have about 7,000 lights up in and outside of our house. I think lights are cheery, especially for a time of year that can be dull outside (I live in Ohio, US). I have last year's pictures posted at http://john.thenewssource.org/christmas2007.

derekr44
December 15th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I grew up on Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc. Christmas classics have become part of me. I'm a traditionalist... no fake trees here.

I also agree that Mannheim should be steamrolled.

jadeblue
December 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
O holy night.. Thats it. the end.

ajcham
December 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I love it, but it does get overdone. Particularly if you work in a store and are hearing it repeatedly from late-Oct / early-Nov, I can understand how it would become unbearable.

My favourites are Fairytale of New York, a Spaceman came Travelling and Thank God it's Christmas.

That said, new Christmas songs that I enjoy are rare. I have a Xmas playlist on Spotify of about 20 tracks - all but two of which were also on a mix-tape we used to play when I was a young kid.

forrestcupp
December 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Second, ever since Mannheim Steamroller (http://shop.mannheimsteamroller.com/) butchered Christmas music I have not been able to stomach it.I like most Christmas music a lot, but I, also, can't stomach The Steamroller. I also can't stand it when singers take one of the more solemn/mellow Christmas carols and make it upbeat and "original" to try to be hip with the teens.

I grew up on Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc. Christmas classics have become part of me. I'm a traditionalist... no fake trees here.

I also agree that Mannheim should be steamrolled.I love the classics, too. And QFT for Mannheim.

I do NOT, however, like it when retail treats Thanksgiving as only a slight speedbump en route to Christmas buying.This is one of my pet peeves, too. In my house we have a "no Christmas movies/music until after Thanksgiving" rule. My wife gets impatient sometimes.

FuturePilot
December 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I like most Christmas music a lot, but I, also, can't stomach The Steamroller. I also can't stand it when singers take one of the more solemn/mellow Christmas carols and make it upbeat and "original" to try to be hip with the teens.

I love the classics, too. And QFT for Mannheim.

This is one of my pet peeves, too. In my house we have a "no Christmas movies/music until after Thanksgiving" rule. My wife gets impatient sometimes.

I agree with everything you said. I also like Christmas music but I hate these "modern" remakes of classics. And I find it ridiculous how retail rushes everything.

Dr Small
December 17th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I don't celebrate chrisma$$ and I the music annoys me.