PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] cannot boot

fboxall
December 14th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I have windows XP-2 Pro. I downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 file (hash checked OK), burned CD (disc checked OK), and booted from it. Everything looked OK. Then I installed it and that procedure seemed to go OK. But I can't boot it. Maybe I screwed up the partition. I have only one hard drive and it was all winXP. I used manual partition, set the swap to 2048 KB, and used the rest for Ubuntu which I set as logical, extension 3, and entered mount point as /. I think there was a choice of "beginning" or "end" which I did not understand, so that might be the problem.
Windows continues to work OK. I don't get a screen for choosing Windows or Ubuntu. I have visited BIOS and do not learn anything there. My computer acts as if Ubuntu is not there. Can anyone help me out?

Partyboi2
December 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM
You could try restoring grub and see what happens. You can do this by booting the ubuntu live cd and following this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351).

caljohnsmith
December 14th, 2008, 03:02 PM
How about booting your Live CD, download the attached "boot_info6.sh.txt" file to your desktop, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

sudo sh ~/Desktop/boot_info6.sh.txt
That will create a "BootInfo.txt" file on your desktop; please attach that to your next post, or simply copy/paste the contents to your next post. That will greatly clarify your setup and what your problem might be.

fboxall
December 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I solved the problem by re-installing. I think that the first install didn't work because I failed to check the format option in the partition dialog. In any case, I believe I am ok now. Thanks for your help.