PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Totem still wants to be default media player?

Zevin64
December 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Hi, I've set most of my media file types to open with vlc by right clicking on the file and setting it to open with vlc.

However in some instances, e.g. when I'm finished downloading a media file in firefox and I open it from the download bar in firefox it opens up in Totem instead of vlc. This also happens when I open files from the file browser applet in Avant Windows Navigator, they open up in Totem instead.

I've tried System-->Preferences-->Preferred Applications-->Multimedia and selecting 'Custom' and putting vlc, but in the aforementioned scenarios Totem still opens up.

Any suggestions?

mc4man
December 14th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I open it from the download bar in firefox

Those are set in firefox -> edit -> preferences -> applications.

I wouldn't go changing things in a blanket fashion, test out for suitability for each potential edit.

lordbux
December 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
just do this and all will be right

go to System>Preferences>Preferred Applications |||||

there in multimedia tab

form drop down menu elect VLC (if available)
or
Select custom and In Command text box enter====> vlc %s

hoping to hear good news:KS
long live opensource:guitar:

Zevin64
December 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM
None of those solutions have worked.

I've also tried typing gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list in the terminal and replacing instances of 'totem' in the text file with 'vlc' and not even that works, totem still keeps opening up.:confused:

eBoxNet
December 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
try to remove totem and reinstall it.maybe this solve your problem (do the same with vlc)

Zevin64
December 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I just removed totem, didn't bother to reinstall. File browser applet works how I want it to now. VLC as default media player seems to override some of preferences in Firefox, e.g. it will open saved mp3s from the download bar instead of amarok. Might have something to do with my changes to gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list Will check it out later, I'm satisfied with how things are now.

Thanks everyone.

i.mehrzad
December 14th, 2008, 10:50 AM
This is what i normally do and it has worked.

Take a normal ".avi"file for eg.
Right click->properties->open with->select vlc.

With this the downloaded avi (if it is) should open with vlc. Try that for all other filetypes.

scouser73
December 14th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Right click on the media you want to view, select Properties and then Open With then what you need to do is make sure that the player you wish to use is selected, and remove the other players.