PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Grub Error11

Yathi
December 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I wanted to change my ubuntu splash screen so i installed the startupmanager. Downloaded a splash screen. N did the required things in the startup manager. then in menu.lst i added vga = 0x0318 in the defoptions line as was instructed in the tutorial. i checked tat using hwinfo.

Then restarted. When shutting down my new splash screen came. But now ubuntu not booting. In the boot menu if i select ubuntu it is giving

grub error 11 Unrecognised Device String.

I used to live disk to add an entry for windows n now m in windows. Windows is booting properly. Wat is the problem????

caljohnsmith
December 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
If you left a space on both sides of the equal sign for "vga = 0x0318", that might be what is causing problems, so you could try:

vga=0x0318
To try it, next time you reboot, select the Ubuntu entry you want to boot, press "e" to edit it, select the "kernel" line, press "e" to edit it, then make the change as shown above. Press enter to save the change, and finally "b" to boot Ubuntu. See if that gets you any further, or let me know what happens.

Yathi
December 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
thanks... got it...

Yathi
December 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
But instead of changing the kernel line. I changed the root line. I replaced f5f5732b-cd42-45e6-ae24-da2ff88054e9 in the root to (hd0,1) where my ubuntu is installed n that did the trick. Thanks a lot for your help. I did not know can edit in the boot screen.

caljohnsmith
December 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Glad you figured out the problem; cheers and have fun with Ubuntu. :)