PDA

View Full Version : Dell Mini 9

bobarry
December 14th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Does anyone in the Concord/Harrisburg (NC) area have a Dell Mini 9? Santa's brining me one and I've been gathering info, tinkering with Ubuntu on my regular Dell laptop, etc - getting ready to 'shrink down' my computing.

Bo Barry
(Retired UNCC college prof)

hurricanesfan66
December 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
We have one, but we are in Franklin County (north of Raleigh). We are trying to decide whether to standardize on the mini 9 (ubuntu) or eeePC (Xandros) in our elementary schools.

We also just purchased 5 12' mini's with XP, which I will be wiping clean and adding Ubuntu to (at least on mine).

Happy to be making some inroads with OSS and Ubuntu, in an XP district...

jfrorie
December 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Does anyone in the Concord/Harrisburg (NC) area have a Dell Mini 9? Santa's brining me one and I've been gathering info, tinkering with Ubuntu on my regular Dell laptop, etc - getting ready to 'shrink down' my computing.

Bo Barry
(Retired UNCC college prof)

I'm looking at a couple of netbooks (Dell, hp, msi) May pick one up after the after x-mas discount. Currently, I'm running Ubuntu on an hp zd8000. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences on the dell.

BTW, I'm UNCC alum. I ran the VLSI lab around the corner from your office from 95-99

Jim Rorie

bobarry
December 18th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I'm looking at a couple of netbooks (Dell, hp, msi) May pick one up after the after x-mas discount. Currently, I'm running Ubuntu on an hp zd8000. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences on the dell.

BTW, I'm UNCC alum. I ran the VLSI lab around the corner from your office from 95-99

Jim Rorie

Surprised our paths didn't cross - I don't recall your name. I stuck with Z80/MC68000 stuff then LANs.
I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on my Dell Inspiron 6000, awaiting permission from 'Santa' to open the Dell Mini 9.

I've tinkered with Linux for YEARS and still can't conquer it. I'm just not geeky enough, no matter how hard I try. I did fine with DOS, then Windows 1.0 on - but Linux continues to give me a fit.

Now that I've retired I have more time. :)

Hope you are doing well.
Bo