PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unable to live run 8.10

esky64
December 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I use the so called software "WINXP"
I've tried using Ubuntu 8.4 as a live version and all is working fine so much better that the software with MS. But I've downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 and it will not start it gets past the sound card install I know that coz it makes music then just sits can anyone help me. I know its going to work on my computer it works on my laptop but I can't get the wireless to work
Thanks for any help
Chris

Partyboi2
December 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM
What do you see on the screen when you hear the music, is it a brown/beige screen with the mouse pointer able to move? Do you get to the login screen?

esky64
December 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM
is it a brown/beige screen with the mouse pointer able to move sort of.
I get a round dot that really don't move, well it will move but very very slowly
Thanks for the reply

Partyboi2
December 14th, 2008, 12:52 AM
When you get to the beige screen stage press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get to a terminal then login and try removing compiz

sudo apt-get remove compiz compiz-core
then

sudo rebootIf it does not get you to a working desktop then reinstall compiz with

sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-core

esky64
December 15th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Thanks partyboi2 for your replies but sadly they did not work

frankleeee
December 15th, 2008, 03:35 AM
You might try to restart hit esc or whatever stops at the grub kernel choice and hit the recovery let it run then in the screen to boot in from there hit fix broken packages. You could also do a apt get update and upgrade in safe terminal to see if you didn't get the desktop installed or run sudo apt-get install "the desk-top your running". All this has to be done while connected to the net.