PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Don't Move Items To Trash - Just Delete

Izek
December 13th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Just wondering, how would I go about "NOT" moving items to the trash, and just delete them?

I know about the "enable_delete" under [gconf-editor in] apps > nautilis > preferences, but all this does is add a "delete" item to the right-click menu context it seems.

jbrown96
December 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Highlight what you want to delete, then Shift+Delete.

rbringh
December 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I use "SHIFT and DELETE KEY" together to just delete. Try that.

cdtech
December 13th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Check this out:
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/01/securely-wipeerase-files-in-ubuntu.html

Izek
December 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Seriously, SHIFT-DELETE is still a roundabout deal.

@cdtech: I already mentioned that I can get a delete command in the context menu, I didn't want that.

jbrown96
December 13th, 2008, 11:51 PM

@cdtech: I already mentioned that I can get a delete command in the context menu, I didn't want that.

I can't imagine what is more straightforward than a keyboard shortcut. What are you looking for?

Izek
December 13th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I can't imagine what is more straightforward than a keyboard shortcut. What are you looking for?

In windows, right-clicking the trash and going to properties, you'll find an option--a checkbox if you will--that allows one to have the computer tell itself, "don't move items to the trash." This also removes the trash's queued space from the harddrive (IE: 15%)

jbrown96
December 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I think you answered the question yourself with the gconf procedure. Linux doesn't have a "trash" like Windows. There's no disk space set aside for it.

Izek
December 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I think you answered the question yourself with the gconf procedure. Linux doesn't have a "trash" like Windows. There's no disk space set aside for it.

Then why is there a .Trash folder?

cdtech
December 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM

This is a secure delete which wipes it from your drive. I dont understand what more you would want. I understand that there is a delete as well.

Izek
December 14th, 2008, 12:07 AM
I'll just have to bear with the shift button then.