PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new linux user, need help with initramfs

Canucksfan
December 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have used ubuntu once in the past in school and was looking for something new so I said hey, why not try the new ubuntu? So I downloaded the v8.04.1 ISO file and burned it to a disc(twice, one at high speed and one at low speed). I set everything so it boots from the disc and when I go to install it(or any of the other options such as memory test) I get the busybox thing and the initramfs prompt. I have read through many websites and through this forum about how to solve this issue but none have worked so far and I dont understand most of the stuff. Im not a total noob with pc's but I haven't used linux much in my life so I am a noob with this stuff. It is really frusterating to go and try something new and get this initramfs prompt. Should I abandon using Ubuntu or will you guys be able to guide me through this instilation process?

taurus
December 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Which release did you download? At the first menu, did you pick the option to scan cd for defects to make sure the CD is good?

What's the spec of your machine?

Canucksfan
December 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Which release did you download? At the first menu, did you pick the option to scan cd for defects to make sure the CD is good?

What's the spec of your machine?

Yeah, I scanned the cd for defects and wrote at a very low speed.
My PC is:
Core2Duo E8400 processor
BFG 9600gt vid card
Samsung SH-S203N DVD/CD drive
Antec earthwatts 500W power supply
ASUS p5ql-pro motherboard
standard microsoft keyboard/mouse
Vivitron Gateway2000 monitor
G.SKILL F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK-2x2GB ram

taurus
December 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
You can always try the alternate CD.

Canucksfan
December 14th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I decided to scrap that version and I downloaded and installed 8.10 successfully.