PDA

View Full Version : Helping with the BOINC project

brandoncolorado
December 13th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I am using the BOINC client to help with the World Community Grid distributed computing network. The default GUI is horribly ugly. I would like to help to spruce it up, but don't have the graphics skills to help that much. Has anyone else been using this? I think that a better GUI that was more customizable would help draw more users to the worthwhile cause.

Has anyone else looked into updating this, or do you know how to help?

I am attaching a screenshot so you can see the current implementation.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

DJ_Peng
December 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
There are a number of skins (http://crunching-family.at/dlc/index.php) for BOINC. I found a few that I rather like, and they're really easy to install (http://nancib.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/skinning-boinc-on-linux/).

Bölvağur
December 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I'll look into it, but I may need some more info on what things are used the most often and such.
I did not check the code, but is there just 1 gui class?
Perhaps that isn't the most important thing yet as making blueprints for the gui is the first thing.

*edit*
You are talking about whole new gui setup, not just skin or theme?

brandoncolorado
December 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Those skins are nice, but I think it would be really slick if it worked with Ubuntu themes in a better way. It just doesn't fit with the look/feel of Gnome. Think of the computing power out there just waiting to save the world! ;)

Bölvağur
December 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM
btw what is the biggest problem with this program in your opinion? Something that really needs to be fixed, and are there some minor things that could become better?

brandoncolorado
December 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
btw what is the biggest problem with this program in your opinion? Something that really needs to be fixed, and are there some minor things that could become better?

- Buttons (font, size, etc. -- there is some overlap)

- Tabs on the top

- Default background for the ubuntu package should probably just be the Gnome theme background color (so that it fits with people's custom theme.

Just some ideas.

Martje_001
December 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM
The 'advanced' version is written in GTK I believe.

Phreaker
December 14th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Boinc manager really looks ugly, I agree.
Hopefully in the next major version they would fix that

Golem XIV
December 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Boinc manager really looks ugly, I agree.
Hopefully in the next major version they would fix that

I wouldn't count on it. It's been like this for ages.

I tend to use the Advanced view, though, so it doesn't bother me. What *does* bother me is that it can't "remember" the view settings in the Advanced view (column width, etc.)

Polygon
December 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
its like that in windows too.

just click 'advanced' view or wahtever and then it will give you a GTK interface

brandoncolorado
December 14th, 2008, 08:40 PM
The 'advanced' version is written in GTK I believe.

Awesome! That is exactly what I meant. This works for my purposes, and I hope that this becomes the default look for the simple view.