PDA

View Full Version : Pirated GNU Software? - FSF Cisco Lawsuit

Dr. C
December 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM
The FSF is suing Cisco for Copyright Infringement over the distribution of Free Software in Linksys routers in object source from without the corresponding source code in violation of the GPL and LGPL. This by the way is a first for the FSF

http://www.fsf.org/news/2008-12-cisco-suit

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/complaint-2008-12-11.pdf

So that Linksys router may contain pirated free software and when one considers how popular these routers are this is a very widespread case of software piracy

gpsmikey
December 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I guess I'm safe -- I reflashed mine (wrt54g) with the Tomato firmware. Hope they don't come after me :lolflag:

Be interesting to see where this goes.

mikey

saulgoode
December 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I guess I'm safe -- I reflashed mine (wrt54g) with the Tomato firmware. Hope they don't come after me :lolflag:
One of the nice things about Free Software is that you are completely free to use without risk of being sued for copyright infringement no matter how you obtained the software. Even if the person who provided you the software is found to be in violation of the licensing -- and loses the right to distribute it -- the copy which you received is still legitimate.

Dr. C
December 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
One of the nice things about Free Software is that you are completely free to use without risk of being sued for copyright infringement no matter how you obtained the software. Even if the person who provided you the software is found to be in violation of the licensing -- and loses the right to distribute it -- the copy which you received is still legitimate.

What the end user would end up in this case is a propriety binary that is derived from pirated Free Software. The end user does not have the source code nor can they get the source code so the end user does not have Free Software. A case under section 0 of the GPL v2 could be made for use, but not for distribution. Where does place a retailer or someone who gives their Linksys router away after they have been given notice that the router in question contains pirated software?

smartboyathome
December 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
This is kind of sad, in my opinion. Linksys has been open to people using their own firmware, open enough that they provided the WRT54GL for people who wanted custom firmware. Thats more than many other companies have done.

cmat
December 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm glad they are doing this. Sometimes they need to put their foot down. If companies keep getting away with GPL violations, people will lose trust in the GPL and the FSF.

Dr. C
December 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM
This is kind of sad, in my opinion. Linksys has been open to people using their own firmware, open enough that they provided the WRT54GL for people who wanted custom firmware. Thats more than many other companies have done.

But is it their firmware or is it derived from pirated GNU software? That is what the lawsuit is about.

saulgoode
December 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
What the end user would end up in this case is a propriety binary that is derived from pirated Free Software. The end user does not have the source code nor can they get the source code so the end user does not have Free Software. A case under section 0 of the GPL v2 could be made for use, but not for distribution. Where does place a retailer or someone who gives their Linksys router away after they have been given notice that the router in question contains pirated software?
If the software in question is GPLed, the license states that you either comply with its distribution terms or you aren't licensed to distribute it. I would offer my interpretation of what this means but such discussion is prohibited on these forums (if you wish to share with me your thoughts on this intriguing issue, feel free to send me a PM).

edd07
December 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Pirated Free Software? Man, that is pathetic. And to think the only thing they have to do to comply with the GPL is to provide the customer with a link to the source code...

Grant A.
December 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm glad they are doing this. Sometimes they need to put their foot down. If companies keep getting away with GPL violations, people will lose trust in the GPL and the FSF.

+1

Anyone who steals from the GPL needs to be made an example of.

I giggled at the thought of 'pirated' Free software. :lolflag:

samjh
May 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
They've settled out-of-court. Cisco will comply with GPL.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/103756,free-software-foundation-settles-case-with-cisco.aspx