PDA

View Full Version : (DRM Analogy I made) Buying books and music.

master5o1
December 13th, 2008, 04:16 AM
The following is based on what I can remember from reading various sources of information some time ago.

Imagine this:

You buy a book, but it comes in Russian and the publisher offers to let you have an interpreter read it to you, as long as you have it read only in your dining room and/or to a maximum of five rooms of your house.

Scenario One:
On the second time you get your interpreter to read you this story, you write out what the interpreter was reading to you (write in plain English).
Scenario Two:
You start learning Russian and have now become fluent enough to not need the interpreter.

After taking up either scenario you decide, wow, I don't need this interpreter so I can now read this book anywhere I like, as many times as I like, and since (scenario one) it's now in English, I can lend it to a friend.

If you did this with DRM-laden media then the scenarios would be this:
Scenario One: Circumventing the DRM by copying from the unencrypted stream (from ram or somewhere) and creating a new file (i.e. OGG)
Scenario Two: Breaking the DRM (like DeCSS / libdvdcss2) so you can use the same file without the necessary platform provided by the distributer (i.e. iTunes).

In both scenarios one would be sued by the distributer (Apple and/or RIA).

Scenario three: Using the same algorithm as the distributer's platform (iTunes) to listen to the media (El Tunes style).

This scenario is also considered illegal under "DRM Circumvention". How is it circumvention when it is only allowing the iTunes store account holder to listen to their music (on Linux)?

----

tgalati4
December 13th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Based on what you are saying:

I ripped an Real Media stream from KCRW in the form of a 2-hour-long radio program (*.rm) file. I am currently listening to it using a Linux Real Media Player (Version 10). So that would constitute DRM circumvention?

I could use the website's built-in player, but it's bloated and consumes 100% CPU. Tough to multitask when you're churning a useless javascript/flash player in the background. With the downloaded file and Real Player, CPU is only a few percent.

master5o1
December 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM
sshh don't let me think about things for too long.

securitynut
December 13th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I recently started using Ubuntu and picked it up quickly, so i decided to watch a dvd (24 Season 6). Come to find out, I needed libdvdcss2 to circumvent the DRM. I guess that since today's society is so windows oriented that they left us Linux users stuck between a rock in a hard place with everything from dvd's, to music, and other platform oriented programs.

billgoldberg
December 13th, 2008, 10:40 AM
The following is based on what I can remember from reading various sources of information some time ago.

Imagine this:

You buy a book, but it comes in Russian and the publisher offers to let you have an interpreter read it to you, as long as you have it read only in your dining room and/or to a maximum of five rooms of your house.

Scenario One:
On the second time you get your interpreter to read you this story, you write out what the interpreter was reading to you (write in plain English).
Scenario Two:
You start learning Russian and have now become fluent enough to not need the interpreter.

After taking up either scenario you decide, wow, I don't need this interpreter so I can now read this book anywhere I like, as many times as I like, and since (scenario one) it's now in English, I can lend it to a friend.

If you did this with DRM-laden media then the scenarios would be this:
Scenario One: Circumventing the DRM by copying from the unencrypted stream (from ram or somewhere) and creating a new file (i.e. OGG)
Scenario Two: Breaking the DRM (like DeCSS / libdvdcss2) so you can use the same file without the necessary platform provided by the distributer (i.e. iTunes).

In both scenarios one would be sued by the distributer (Apple and/or RIA).

Scenario three: Using the same algorithm as the distributer's platform (iTunes) to listen to the media (El Tunes style).

This scenario is also considered illegal under "DRM Circumvention". How is it circumvention when it is only allowing the iTunes store account holder to listen to their music (on Linux)?

----

Scenario 4 (in some countries), you buy media and you aren't allow to play it. (dvd on Linux)

ZarathustraDK
December 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
When it comes to DRM-analogies I always thought "The Pig and the Box" ruled http://books.1889.ca/pig_and_the_box

unknown03
December 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Oh come on, guys. This is the biggest opportunity of the century! DRM is the future! Time to get on board :guitar: </sarcasm>

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/432029442_479b2892a9.jpg

dannytatom
December 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Haha, nice ad. :O