PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't a time-based login prevent brute force attacks?

aysiu
December 13th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I've often read that strong passwords are good. I understand that weak ones (dictionary phrases) are easy to crack.

Please keep in mind that I don't know that much about technical details of things. I am not a programmer. So in your explanations and corrections, talk to me as if I'm a moron.

How difficult would it be to make logins time-based?

In other words, for a remote login, making it so that after the first and second failed attempts to log in to a particular account, you'd have to wait 5 seconds to log in for that particular account, and then after the third failed attempt, you'd have to wait an extra 10 seconds and so on. If there were ten failed attempts coming from the same source, that source would no longer be able to log in for the next 24 hours, and even if that source tried to log in with a correct username and password, it would be denied.

Is this not implemented because it would be difficult to identify a source? Even so, forcing at least a 5-second delay would significantly increase the time it would take for an automated program to go through every single possible dictionary word.

I think I've seen time-based logins before (I forget in what context). Why aren't they more common? And why wouldn't they then make dictionary-word passwords more secure than they currently are?

DOS4dinner
December 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
At my highschool, if you put in the wrong password 5 times it blocks your account. I would assume most systems would have something like that.

thegreatbitbucket
December 13th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I don't know how hard that would be to implement (I'm not a programmer myself). But, it surprises me that something like that isn't already implemented. It's an extremely good idea.

My friend's iPhone had a feature like that. If you locked the screen with a 4-digit PIN and then got the PIN incorrect around 3 times or so, it wouldn't let you unlock for about 5 minutes. Then if you got it incorrect again, it would be locked for 15 minutes. Incorrect after that, then it would be around 30 minutes, then an hour. Turning it off and on again didn't remove the penalty. It was pretty frustrating to my friend to not be able to use the phone for 15 minutes but it's a good security measure.

The thought that if you couldn't login for 24 hours, even with the correct username and password is also something I like because if someone guessed the correct password, they may not know that it would work.

I hope someone gets a chance to implement this, if it isn't already available yet.

bobbob1016
December 13th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Well, yes, it would work, but not if they boot a livecd.

Edit: Kind of like how the club thing works for cars, so long as the guy trying to steal the car doesn't have a spare wheel to put on.

will1911a1
December 13th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Well, yes, it would work, but not if they boot a livecd.

Edit: Kind of like how the club thing works for cars, so long as the guy trying to steal the car doesn't have a spare wheel to put on.

If they have physical access to the box the game is basically over anyway.

aysiu
December 13th, 2008, 02:13 AM
If someone has the ability to boot a live CD, the password means nothing anyway, so I don't see how that's a relevant scenario to this discussion.

binbash
December 13th, 2008, 03:09 AM
there are some scripts to do this but i prefer port knocking or private key file.Far more secure

Jammanuser
December 13th, 2008, 03:44 AM
If someone has the ability to boot a live CD, the password means nothing anyway, so I don't see how that's a relevant scenario to this discussion.

Hahaha! Good point! :D that cracked me up when i read that comment, and then ur reply... :guitar:

Cheers! :lolflag:

Jam Man

):P

happysmileman
December 13th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Well all Linux systems seem to have a 1-2 second delay after incorrect password entry (including when using sudo) for this reason (AFAIK that's the reason anyway).

Anything more than a couple of seconds would become fairly annoying for people with long passwords or bad typing?

HermanAB
December 13th, 2008, 04:35 AM
You can use iptables rate limiting on new connections to make brute force attacks infeasible:
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/187

Cheers,

H.

Dr Small
December 13th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Whether a properly implemented time based login prevention would work or not should not leave us with the excuse to use dictionary words as passwords.

aysiu
December 13th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Whether a properly implemented time based login prevention would work or not should not leave us with the excuse to use dictionary words as passwords.
No, it shouldn't. But it also means that if you use a dictionary word, it'd be far less likely to be cracked than in a non-time-based scenario, which could probably have it cracked within a few minutes.

CholericKoala
December 13th, 2008, 05:00 AM
No, it shouldn't. But it also means that if you use a dictionary word, it'd be far less likely to be cracked than in a non-time-based scenario, which could probably have it cracked within a few minutes.

I like my dictionary word, even though its not really a word

Dr Small
December 13th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Just the same, I would still encourage better security practices, because this mechanism would not be implemented everywhere.

Frak
December 13th, 2008, 06:00 AM
This would be taking it from Microsoft themselves:

Look at any Windows Server domain and check the login policies. You'll notice an option that allows login pauses/lockouts with a box for a time amount.

Before anybody flames me on this, remember Microsoft does retain much of the market and they didn't get that way placing blank cd's in cardboard/plastic boxes.

[h2o]
December 13th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Consider what happens when someone, for "fun", attempts to log in to your computer from a place where you also try to login to your computer. His failed "attempts" could block your legal attempts out for a long long time if you take the approach you suggested.

pp.
December 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
There are numerous systems which enforce time based rules such as delays between attempted logins, permanently or temporarily locking an account or terminal after a given number of failed accounts and so on.

They provide some additional security for those accounts which have strong passwords. They help a tiny little bit when an account uses guessable passwords.