PDA

View Full Version : Question for programmers/developers

regonzal
December 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I am just wanting to ask those with experience in these fields what books could be considered essential. I am getting a gift for my brother for the holidays and since he is a programmer working within the open source environment any suggestions within that area would do.

Right now he is reading a book on the Twisted networking engine, if that helps.

Thank you for your time and suggestions in advance.

Martje_001
December 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM
"Dive Into Python" by Mark Pilgrim. OK, you can read it online, but on paper is much more relaxing.

Grant A.
December 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
nvm

cmay
December 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM
try search google a book called "the art of UNIX programming" by the raymond dude that wrote how to be hacker thinghy. i cant remeber teh name exactly .
and maybe the c programming language second edition by kerninghan and ritchie if he do not have that one.

other books that are really good you can actually find links to in the programming talk section here in ubuntu forums under the stickys. (and the art of unix programming is mentioned there also )

cardinals_fan
December 13th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I don't have much experience with programming, but Programming Perl is one of the best books ever written. Hilarious and instructive.

mangar
December 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0070131511/
Everything else is volatile.

JohnFH
December 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0070131511/
Everything else is volatile.

Very good recommendation! Learning a specific programming language is easy, but having a good grounding in algorithms and knowing when to use certain ones, is a lot more useful.

Vadi
December 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I think Twisted is about Python. Since he's already reading that, the basic "Dive into Python" book won't help - but perhaps come python "tips and tricks" one might.

mr.propre
December 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Try to buy a book that isn't focused one one language, because it is useless to buy a c++ programmer a book about python. Unless he is planning to learn it.

There are tones of books, starting from project management (PMBOK), to security, to user accessibility...

And if you are not sure what he likes best, you still can give him a book certificate.

regonzal
December 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Thank you all for your replies, I am currently trying to research what he enjoys the most, I think the PERL book would do the trick since he was raving about it last night :)

Bachstelze
December 14th, 2008, 12:09 AM
If he's interested in security and crypto stuff, Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier is a definite must-have.

samjh
December 14th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Since we don't know much about the OP's brother, I think it is foolhardy to recommend any specific books or such.

Instead, how about an Amazon Gift Card?
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Gift-Card/dp/B00067L6TQ

With that, he can buy whatever book/CD/etc. he wants from Amazon. :)