PDA

View Full Version : I have some ideas on how to improve a game AI How do I start?

brian77095
December 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have an older game I would like to tweak. If the game is a windows based game how do I go about learning how to tweak the game.

For example:
1. How do I find out the AI logic.
2. How do I find out what files do what? (I am guessing the main exe file)
3. If it is a windows based game that means I will need to know C or C++ to manipulate the program?

thanks for the help

b

mssever
December 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Unless you have access to the source code and have some programming knowledge, you won't be able to do much.

aszxcv
December 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
research game ai isnt a trivial subject. companies like ea and others have researchers on staff with many years of just researching ai issues. your best bet is picked up a book called artificial intelligence a modern approach it is recommended by many in the field i am currently reading it . for programming language you should looked into lisp.
http://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Intelligence-Modern-Approach-Prentice/dp/0137903952/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229111156&sr=8-1

mssever
December 12th, 2008, 08:52 PM
for programming language you should looked into lisp.
Clarification: I believe you're recommending LISP for general programming knowledge. For the OP's specific task, he'll need to know whatever language the game in question is written in.

brian77095
December 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Unless you have access to the source code and have some programming knowledge, you won't be able to do much.

So this source code is written and from that the .exe file is made? And unless its open source you will not get to see that source code...most likely...

I know it was kind of a broad sweeping question... but, I thought I might get lucky.

thanks for the recommendation on the book.

mssever
December 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
So this source code is written and from that the .exe file is made? And unless its open source you will not get to see that source code...most likely...

I know it was kind of a broad sweeping question... but, I thought I might get lucky.

thanks for the recommendation on the book.
The first step is to learn how to program. (I'm assuming that you don't already know how to programming since you don't seem to know much about source code.) There's a sticky here with lots of relevant information. LISP has been recommended, and it's very likely someone will recommend that you learn Python for starters. But which language to start with is a surefire way to start a flamewar around here.

brian77095
December 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM
The first step is to learn how to program. (I'm assuming that you don't already know how to programming since you don't seem to know much about source code.) ... But which language to start with is a surefire way to start a flamewar around here.

Yeah I learning java at the moment. But would like to expand once I get a little free time....

kernelhaxor
December 13th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Yeah I learning java at the moment. But would like to expand once I get a little free time....

Yep Java is a good choice to start with. You might wanna go for C & C++ later.
Good luck!

nvteighen
December 13th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Yep Java is a good choice to start with. You might wanna go for C & C++ later.
Good luck!
More static-typed languages? Well, at least Java is a high abstraction level language...

Maybe a dynamic typed language would be an enlightening experience. In this scenario, I guess you can choose anyone... Check for Python (which is the favorite here), Perl or Ruby, among others.

Of course, this doesn't mean you don't learn C and C++. That'd be absurd... I'm giving some non-exclusive alternatives.

brian77095
December 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I guess what you all are trying to say is just get more experience in programing and then I will be able to answer those questions my self.....

pp.
December 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
True. You might discover some more questions which then would be much more interesting to answer, though.

nvteighen
December 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I guess what you all are trying to say is just get more experience in programing and then I will be able to answer those questions my self.....
Huh? I actually was referring to the type of language... but anyway, yes, you may interpret it that way even when I was talking about a technical issue.