PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Speed Up GNOME Boot Time...

icanfly0307
December 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi there,
I have a Pentium 3 1 Ghz 256 MB RAM computer and it's running Ubuntu very well. The only thing that bothers me is that loading GNOME from the login screen takes a very long time-- Around 20 seconds. Is there anyway to speed this process up? I konw that many of you will try recommending Xubuntu for me but I'd rather stick with Ubuntu. It runs very well once I'm logged on. It's only the GNOME boot time that bothers me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

ohzopants
December 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Here's a few tips off the top of my head:
- Disable desktop effects
- Minimize the number of programs that start up with each gnome session (if you have any; for instance I have deluge, banshee, yakuake, and tomboy all starting with each session)

Other than those 2 simple things I don't think there is much you can do, sorry. And, by the way, my computer is considerably faster than yours and it still takes about 20 seconds from entering my password to fully functional desktop.

icanfly0307
December 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. My computer can't support Desktop Effects so it's already disabled. I'm currently trying to compile a custom kernel right now. :grin:

cb34
December 12th, 2008, 08:33 PM
3.7GHz 2gigs ocz ram, 1333fsb overclocked to the max.. real fast new 32cache 500gig Seagate HD.. computer is fast.. disabled many programs from loading at startup and tweaked tweaked and tweaked and just like ohzopants says.. still takes a few to load up all the way.
i think it's just the way it is. ??

josedb
December 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM
You can try preload?