PDA

View Full Version : get the word out

darkenedday
December 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've been thinking, Linux has come a long way, especially ubuntu, after returning to it recently and using 8.04 I was AMAZED to see how easy everything was to set up, I almost didn't have any reason to touch a command line (probably didn't have any reason at all) I only did because that's what I'm used to using to work things. . .

Anyway getting to my point, ubuntu has come so far and is as easy to use as windows, if not easier at some points, so why is it it seems that only the technoligically adept, or curious, of us seem to be using it still? The typical person doesn't even know what ubuntu is, and I find this very sad.

What I am suggesting is that a few of us get together (there are MANY talented people on these forums) and start designing some sort of advertisement, like an online commercial to be put on websites and posted in blogs.
This isn't meant to preach linux, but at least increase awareness that there are alternatives aside from Mac OS X, to windows, letting people know they do have a choice.

I'm asking for anyone interested in helping to post here and let me know you are interested and ideas on how this could be done, designers and advertisers, throw up suggestions on what you think, webmasters, let me know if you have a website with room for the advertisements or commercials.

I'm thinking a video, demonstrating alot of the choices and capabilities that come with linux, maybe even playing a game or two through wine and showing off compiz for the longer commercial
And maybe a smaller cgi commercial that simply says something about choice and ubuntu
:popcorn:

and of course square and banner ads could be use, with just a decent eye pleasing design with ubuntu and choice involved

any takers?

One guy can not do this alone :)

albinootje
December 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Something similar as you proposed here has already been written at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com

I cannot find that particular entry, but here's something related :
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/9097/
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/2999/

Personally i don't agree.
I'm using Linux intensively since 1995, and i've been advocating Linux (And also FreeBSD for some years), but i've learnt one important thing from that.
You need to find out who is *really* interesting in using Ubuntu and has the time and energy to start using it, and *continue* using it.

You also need to realise that some people are in situations without internet, and without friends or relatives that can support them with Linux questions.

And we should also be realistic.

Ubuntu on regular desktop-machines and servers is going very good.

But if you look at Linux in general on laptops you can see that improvement is really needed with the power-management problems.

I've read that some hardware vendors use a Microsoft compiler to compile the BIOS. That Microsoft compiler is less picky about programming code compared to Intel compilers, which gives Microsoft a clear edge in producing work-arounds in MS-Windows for buggy BIOS-es.

Power-management is a difficult issue for Linux in general.

I'm extremely happy that open source software exists, with esp. Linux and FreeBSD, but you really need to take care not to end up with users who are gonna hate Linux because things don't work well.
I've been working with dozen of happy Linux Desktop users at work, but there also have been a few former colleagues who perhaps still hate Linux
(I'm talking about Linux in the 2000, not really fair, but still).

I think the best thing to do, is to continue with installation videos on Youtube, have install-fest parties, and broaden the knowledge, show Linux to other people in real life, and support them with their questions.

... Developers, developers..^h^h^H^H^H Users, users, users!

Spread the word! but do it tender and carefully. :)

albinootje
December 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
And i forgot something.

A few weeks ago i helped (via email) a colleague in South-America with a reinstall of a dual boot linux/windows laptop.
It was pretty annoying (and time-consuming to think of a solution) that i had to tell her about this notorious boot-menu problem for dual-boot installation after a fresh MS-Windows installation.

I think it is really needed that Linux installation cdroms (Not only Ubuntu) get an easy option to repair the Grub bootmenu after MS-Windows has overwritten it.

Microsoft has been very good in overwriting MBRs, without asking, without information at all, since more than 20 years ago i think.

It's about time to have an easy fix for that.

Eisenwinter
December 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I think it is really needed that Linux installation cdroms (Not only Ubuntu) get an easy option to repair the Grub bootmenu after MS-Windows has overwritten it.

Microsoft has been very good in overwriting MBRs, without asking, without information at all, since more than 20 years ago i think.

It's about time to have an easy fix for that.

I agree.

While I (obviously) think Grub shouldn't overwrite the Windows MBR, I also think there should be an option to easily restore Grub, so you don't have to mess around a lot or do a complete reinstall to get Ubuntu back.

darkenedday
December 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM
there is an option in the ubuntu studio installation to repair grub menus or reinstall them altogether, I was annoyed to find out the default ubuntu cd's don't have it, then again ubuntu studio still uses the blue/grey non gui install method. . .

as for power management I have a dell xps m1530 running ubuntu with e17, and the battery lasts much longer than with either vista or mac os X, (I have a triple boot system, vista, mac OS X, and ubuntu linux) I get 2:30 hours out of ubuntu and barely 2 hours out've the other two options. . . it just uses alot less processor, and still has dynamic speed stepping. . .

and a commercial wouldn't force people to use ubuntu, it just makes them aware they have a choice, and it's a live cd anyway, they can put it in, boot it up and try it, if they don't like it they don't but I think most will be very happy

of course let them know a live cd is much slower than running from hdd, too bad ubuntu is too big for a load to ram option, when most people only have a gig of ram or less. . .

nothing agressive about letting people no, no one is saying "hey you must switch now" this isn't the digital transition I'm proposing :-)

albinootje
December 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Okay, I understand that you didn't propose agressive advertisement for Linux.

(Did you check the IBM Linux-ad on Youtube ?)

But i still believe in mouth to mouth advocating, rather than flashy TV-ads. :)

One other thing to tackle is the misguided information that mass-media is spreading every day.
How often did I read that more than 90 % of the computer users are using MS-Windows ? This is probably purely based on the MicroSoft sales, and therefore statically fully incorrect.

And how often did I read that there's a new threat for computer users because of a new dangerous computer virus ?
The truth is that Microsoft has been very good at producing Operating Systems which had a very bad design computer-security wise speaking.

It would be good to spread the thruth that the media should inform themselves or get informed by others that those are MS-Windows viruses, and not computer viruses.

We can write to the media, and ask them to check their facts.
And we can also inform the media better about Linux.

I remember reading some computer-magazine where one reader had send in a letter, asking "Are you paid by Microsoft ? I never see articles about MacOS or Linux"

The magazine editorial team wrote back "No, we are not paid by MicroSoft", but eventually things started to change a little bit.

Linux magazines are still not bought massively, but perhaps that's because there's so much good info on Linux on the internet. :)

smartboyathome
December 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
See my thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750) for those who decide to do this. Don't preach Linux, as it will ultimately hurt it (since when you preach it, it is usually made out to be this awesome product which can do everything). I think that Linux still has a way to go before it is ready to take the mass market, but it may eventually take over the computing world. I think where it needs to come from are the computer manufacturers, though, not the users, since many people don't even install their own operating system. The reason that Linux is mostly confined to the more technically advanced is because they have to install it themselves. If manufacturers started providing more computers with Linux on them, then then more people would probably start using it.

darkenedday
December 13th, 2008, 03:50 AM
See my thread here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750) for those who decide to do this. Don't preach Linux, as it will ultimately hurt it (since when you preach it, it is usually made out to be this awesome product which can do everything). I think that Linux still has a way to go before it is ready to take the mass market, but it may eventually take over the computing world. I think where it needs to come from are the computer manufacturers, though, not the users, since many people don't even install their own operating system. The reason that Linux is mostly confined to the more technically advanced is because they have to install it themselves. If manufacturers started providing more computers with Linux on them, then then more people would probably start using it.

Dell sells models of all there computers with Ubuntu pre-installed, and back in the day I remember a website that sold things like mac minis and all kinds of desktops and laptops with all open hardware and software, I can't remember the name though to check and see if it is still up, and I thought HP was a big backer of linux?

hmmmmm. . . .

maybe cononical should start something with them?