PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Webcam Woes Continue

macpointman
December 12th, 2008, 04:15 PM
SO I have gotten my Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 install pretty much working the way I want it to. After coming off of a Intrepid install Both on the 64 bit and 34 bit versions used way way too many resources taxing one or the other of my AMD Athlon X2 4000+ at over 100% and using nearly ALL available memory. I expected the 64 bit version to use a considerably larger amount of memory but not nearly 2 GB. THe process that took up the major portion of the CPU and memory Sources was the network manager.

With that being said I think I will stick with LTS releases.

My current issue is with getting my webcam working. I have a Logitech Quickcam communicate STX It works especially well on my Dell Inspiron 1505E notebook (configuration listed in my sig). running a Hardy Upgrade. I will also add that My DV camcorder works well with Kino.

After working on this issue for a while It suddenly started working after a reboot then on the next it quit. Currently the Blue light is on completely and during the boot process it flashes when the Kernel activates the drivers and discovers the webcam. This confirms that Ubuntu sees that the webcam is connected.

Does anyone have any Ideas?

My current Configuration follows

DFI Infinity CFX3200-M2/G Mainboard
AMD Athlon X2 4000+ Processor
2 GB Corsair Value Select PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 Memory
VisionTec ATI HD2600XT 512 MB DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160 GB PATA Hard drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB SATA 3 Hard Drive (Windows XP Pro Drive booting through BIOS drive selection)
Emprex Dual Layer DVD R/RW burner
802.11G Wireless LAN card (Generic Atheros)

Thanks,
MacPointMan

macpointman
January 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hello Hello Hello, Does anyone hear the echo.

MacPointMan