PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh install with existing LVM

sugargenius
December 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Planning to do a fresh 8.04 server install on a box that has existing 4 drives under lvm. Will installer detect this and incorporate existing vg and lg?

sugargenius
December 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM
***bump***
Anybody?

yknivag
December 18th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I can't answer your question, I'm afriad, but have a very similar problem!

My OS and "/", "/home" and "/swap" all reside on a single physical disk in normal partitions, but I have a large RAID5 array (1.5TB) on which I intend to put 3 LVs (to increase flexibility and quotaring).

My issue is that if I lose the OS disk (or wish to install a new OS) will this recognise the LVs and allow me to mount them (as I would be able to do with ordinary partitions) or would I need to "export" the LVs first and them "import" them to the new system? (OK for a planned upgrade but not so convenient in a crash/disk loss system!)

Would welcome any comments...

sugargenius
December 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I haven't done it yet, but I think it can be accomplished with these commands:
vgchange
vgexport
vgimport

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/recipemovevgtonewsys.html

yknivag
December 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM
That's my worry - that it can (seemingly) only be done by using vgexport and vgimport.

What if the main system becomes irrecoverable, to the point where it is not possible to run vgexport? Will a fresh install still recognise my volumes and my data?

keithweddell
December 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
This can be done by the installer if you use the alternate installation disk. Partition manually and you can activate the LVM and choose where to mount the partitions and whether or not to format partitions. I clean install each new release by this method and keep my home and data partitions intact. Courage.

Keith

Keith

sugargenius
December 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Do you have to do anything to the LVM prior to doing the new install (ie vgchange or vgexport?)

keithweddell
December 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Nope. The installer will do it all for you.

Keith

finneyabraham
April 1st, 2009, 03:12 AM
I had an Logical Volume under openSUSE 11.1 comprising 5 500GB disks. My / and home partitions were on a seperate disk. On this disk, I did a clean install of Ubuntu 8.10. Now I cannot see or access my LVM.

Please help.