PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious new key

kaspar_silas
December 12th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Perhaps I am just really unobservant but I only noticed that on my new keyboard there is this "¬" symbol on the key to the left of the 1. Does anyone know what it is or is used for.

In case the symbol doesn't appear right it's like an underscore with a short vertical bit going down on the right hand side

Paqman
December 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Panic! He's found the secret self-destruct key! I told you we should disguise it better!

tdrusk
December 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Perhaps I am just really unobservant but I only noticed that on my new keyboard there is this "¬" symbol on the key to the left of the 1. Does anyone know what it is or is used for.

In case the symbol doesn't appear right it's like an underscore with a short vertical bit going down on the right hand side
Do you have a picture of this?

sydbat
December 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
The key to the left of 1 on my keyboard has these ` and ~. It is a standard keyboard. Who manufactured your keyboard (should be on the bottom).

JohnFH
December 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
The key to the left of 1 on my keyboard has these ` and ~. It is a standard keyboard. Who manufactured your keyboard (should be on the bottom).

My keyboard has the same symbol! Don't know the guy who made the keyboard, but the keyboard was made in China apparently. Doesn't look like a Chinese symbol though ...

super breadfish
December 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
It's a standard keyboard button. Depending on keyboard layout the button left of the 1 will type:

Grave Accent `
Vertical Bar (hold Alt Gr) |
Broken Vertical Bar (hold Alt Gr) ¦
Negation ¬
Tilde ~

It's not a well used key so it often gets moved or omitted. A lot of non-English keyboard layout replace it with a backslash key, or dead key for accents (eg German keyboards).

steeleyuk
December 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Negation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%AC)

If and where you have this key depends on what type of keyboard you have, region etc.

UK keyboards, or mine at least have three actions with this key.

Pressing it produces a `
Shift + press produces a ¬
Alt GR + press produces a |

hessiess
December 12th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Negation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%AC)

If and where you have this key depends on what type of keyboard you have, region etc.

UK keyboards, or mine at least have three actions with this key.

Pressing it produces a `
Shift + press produces a ¬
Alt GR + press produces a |

Same here on all of my keyboards.

pp.
December 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
My keyboards all are standard keyboards. The key to the left of the 1 is
§ unshifted
° shifted
¬ alt-gr

kaspar_silas
December 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Doh! I actually forgot about this thread. Just started it and wandered away into beerland. O my keyboard is the Cherry Linux keyboard to answer those that asked.

Anyway...

So negation m okay. I shall endeavour to increase my use of this new key.

Swagman
December 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hey Uk'ers..

Lets really mess their heads up

Above my 2 key are """"""""""" Not @@@@@@@@@

µatx <-- the correct way of doing matx

lol

And if I still had my AmigaOne operational I would know how to do a whole heap more.

:p