PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Server not seeing domain/workgroup name

happyhacker
December 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM
When I start the server 8.10 one of the lines on the screen seems to be saying that it cannot associate the server name and defaults to the IP addres 192.168.etc. I also am unable to type into a browser on XP the swerver name and have to use the actual IP address.

Can someone tell me what's missing?

volkswagner
December 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
You can edit your /etc/hosts file.

If you have a static ip for the server add that and the name on and additional line under the loop back entries.

cdenley
December 12th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Are you running apache?

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

Try editing /etc/hostname to change your hostname to a fully-qualified domain name (such as mydomain.com), then run

sudo hostname mydomain.com

How are you expecting windows to resolve ubuntu's hostname? I believe you can install bonjour on windows to use zeroconf, or you can install samba on ubuntu to broadcast a netbios name.

happyhacker
December 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Ah,if I add 192.168.x.x (I have fixed the IP of the server in the router) and put "servername" next to it then that should resolve - good, thanks. I have Samba running on the server so I guess when it starts up it will broadcast from Hosts file and then I can type the webmin address thus \\"servername"\(webmin access string). Is this the gist of it? I will retry next time I'm in work.