PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] USB automounting problem

Azyl
December 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
hy i have a problem i can`t mount usb drives automaticly, when i insert them nothing hapens, if i try in nautilius to double click the usb drive or rigth click & mount it gives an eror can`t mount file

my fstab is:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1
ffff8ec2-15d5-4d9a-ba96-ecca9527c7a4 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/usb auto user,noauto,exec 0 0

i can mount usb drive only by using the terminal with the mount command but even then there is a problem even if i use the mount command as a user only a part of the folder on my usb drive have permision setings for writing & modifing files

the problem is that i want usb drives to automount when i plug them in the usb because is dificult for my parents or sister to use usb drives

strangely the cdrom works fine.

is there another config file that i should modify or is there an option for the fstab? what shoul i do?

joshua1983
December 15th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hi, I have a similar problem, but I can mount USB disk less than 4Gb ... a 4Gb usb key I must mount manually using mount :confused:
I think should be a gub, and someplace I read the bug...

louistan3
December 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM
If i remember correctly, there's something with automounting in the gconf-editor.

sorry, im not home right now so i cant check.

Il try to get back here if i find anything.

Azyl
December 23rd, 2008, 08:54 AM
i managed to make it work the problem was the /etc/fstab file it had an eror in the syntax now it mounts them, and i changed the type of the usb drive from auto to vfat.