PDA

View Full Version : Banned from #ubuntu never even been there..?

violentpasta
December 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
i just downloaded and just installed xchat, and after registering my nick, bateman88 i cant join #ubuntu Can anyone tell me how i was banned even though i've never ever even been in the channel???

dannytatom
December 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I haven't a clue, but I pasted a link to this thread in there. Only OP in there is FloodBot. :/

howefield
December 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
If you seriously don't know, it could have been a previous user on your ip address/range.

Eisenwinter
December 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
yeah, just use mode #ubuntu b, see if your range is in the ban list.

violentpasta
December 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM
its just wierd because im in Afghanistan, and Im on a Field operating base, so i figured it was blocked by the router or something. But my buddy, the ONLY other guy here with linux (ubuntu of course) connected fine with no problems, and were both on wireless.

Swagman
December 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Wish the Taliban a Merry Chrimbo from us !!

collinp
December 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Somebody may have used your nick before. If you are not yet unbanned, I will go in there and request that they unban you.

violentpasta
December 12th, 2008, 01:29 PM
thanks a lot man, that would be great. would simply changing my registered nick help?

howefield
December 12th, 2008, 01:35 PM
It will help if it is your nick that has been banned, but not if it is your ip.

Only one way to find out...

grazed
December 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM
there are posts about this semi-frequently. it usually ends up being just a banned nick. the chances on sharing the same ip as someone who was previously banned is very slim, but still possible.

try using a different nickname.