View Full Version : [xfce] [SOLVED] Xubuntu 8.04.1 / Thunar-volman not auto-mounting correctly

December 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I installed Xubuntu 8.04.1 (32-bit) with a fresh install using the LiveCD over a previous 7.10 installation.

Everything went fine, and it works great.

Except one thing. USB drives don't mount properly.

I can mount them from Terminal with the mount / umount commands.

However, plugging them in delivers the following error message (presumably as Thunar tries to auto-mount them):

Failed to mount "1G Removable Volume"

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so.

I have no idea why. The USB stick works fine on other computers. And as I said, it mounts manually too.

What's going on?

December 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
you should check your fstab file
use sudo gedit /etc/fstab

and see what it say at the line where your sdb1 dev is.

it should be something like /dev/sdb1 /media/usb auto user,noauto,exec 0 0

your mount point may vary "/media/usb"

you shoul check this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=283131

Jose Catre-Vandis
December 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
If you still have problems, you might want to try installing hal

sudo apt-get install hal

This helped me with device recognition in Xubuntu and minimal installs in the past

December 12th, 2008, 02:09 PM
My fstab seem to be the problem.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=6ec2a0d6-4e29-4b29-89a7-6e92f561e0e4 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda2
UUID=49aeafbe-70d8-4986-9339-59b1116714a3 /home ext3 relatime 0 2
# /dev/sda6
UUID=4f83689c-8950-4e2b-bd08-7be67811e33b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

For some reason, it seems to think /dev/sdb1 is an iso9660 format.

I'll experiment a little to try and sort it out.

December 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Commenting out the following line solved the problem:

/dev/sdb1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Not sure how that line got added in the first place! From a fresh reinstall too. Presumably something untoward happened the first time I plugged it in.

EDIT: I realise the problem is that I installed from a LiveUSB (rather than CD). This obviously confuses the OS into mounting a USB stick as CD-ROM. Hence the problem. Easily solved if you know what's going on!