PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can't install Xubuntu, end up on a terminal/shell prompt on boot

magentaplacenta
December 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I'm trying to install Xubuntu on an old PC, specs being:

AMD Athlon Processor at 1200mhz
512 meg RAM
8 gig HD x2

I've tried Xubuntu 8.10 and 8.04, both have the same results.

I have 2 drives on my old PC, "c" and "e".....Extracted the .iso download, fired up what looked to be the installer .exe and installed it on my "e" drive as that was my only option (wouldn't let me install on "c").

Everything went fine, the last wizard step said it needed a reboot to finish the install, so clicked the next wizard button and the PC rebooted.

At the BIOS screen, it asked me to choose which OS to boot up. This was a good sign, I thought. I chose the Ubuntu.

Got the xubunto splash screen and the loading bar. The loading bar animated back and forth for a little while, then progressively loaded from left to right like loading bars normally do.

Screen changed and dumped me into what looks like a terminal/shell prompt.

Someone on another board recommended I run the following command, 'startxfce4'. When I did, I received the following:

---------------------------------------------------
ERROR: Frame buffer bpp 32 not supported for this chipset
Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration
Fatal server error: no screens found
---------------------------------------------------

Another mentioned I should edit the x.org config file, though they didn't say what to edit, nor do I even know what "x" is all about. This is my first dive into Linux.

lisati
December 12th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Extracted the ISO? Hmmmmmmm..... It's more usual to burn the ISO file as a disk image straight to disk.

Have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

magentaplacenta
December 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
What does one do if one doesn't have a cd/dvd burner?