PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mute not working in 8.04

Adamantus
December 12th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I just recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 and everything seems to be working fine, except the sound control. The sound itself works fine, but I can't mute or even change the sound level. I have an HP dv5 which has touch sensitive buttons (including one for mute) and the sound icon says it is muted when I push it, but I still get sound. Also, using the slider in the icon doesn't affect the volume level either. If I change the volume level in, say, Totem, the volume will change, but it seems that Gnome can't control the volume. What could be the problem?

nhasian
December 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I have an HP DV9500 and i was able to fix my volume slider in:

System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts

not sure about the mute button though, that worked for me.

Adamantus
December 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM
It's not that the buttons on my keyboard aren't working (pressing the mute buttons actually mutes the icon in Gnome). But, even when the icon is muted, I still get sound. It's that the Gnome icon doesn't seem to be working.

And I should note: I had this same problem before in 8.04 and fixed it before by updating to 8.10, but I recently downgraded because 8.10 was giving me problems.

Adamantus
December 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM
bump

sneeks
December 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM
now then,i still get this problem myself now and again(when i do some fiddling!!!!)i found that the sound controller is at fault,or it gets a bit lost so to say.
i normally use alsa for sound but when it does this for me,i just go back to the oss controller,then flit back to alsa.
it also depends on what programs im running too,if i run sl,it will always give me sound whatever i do...will work on that 1 me thinks.

Adamantus
December 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Okay, I just tried it again and now neither the mute button or volume slider on my computer affects the sound icon.

I should add that, every 30 minutes or so (it's actually really random), my computer makes a noise from the speakers, even if I'm not doing anything.

suncoolsu
December 13th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Right Click on the Speaker icon on the panel -> Preferences -> Select Appropriate Options (Say - HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer) for Intel Card) and Front for the Laptop Speakers.

HTH
B.

Adamantus
December 13th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Okay, I opened Volume Control through the sound icon and tried to mute the master control, but that didn't affect the sound. When I muted the PCM and Front sound things, it did mute the sound though. Is that the problem? It seems like muting the icon mutes the master, which isn't affecting the sound.

Adamantus
December 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Thanks, that seemed to work. It's weird: I tried that last night and it didn't work. I do the same exact thing today, and now it works like a charm. Thanks again.

suncoolsu
December 13th, 2008, 12:27 AM
You can say thanks by clicking the icon :D