PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost my Hardware Drivers menu choice

Docaltmed
December 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Somewhere along the line, I seem to have lost the menu selection for "Hardware Drivers" in the System > Administration submenu?

How do I get it back?

adult swim
December 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM
right click the ubuntu icon up by applications and places. choose edit menus and then go down to administration. see if hardware drivers is checked on the right side.

Docaltmed
December 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I just looked. Hardware drivers isn't on the list.

adult swim
December 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
you can add it by going to the system>administration bar in edit menus and then on the right select new item.
it will be as follows

type: application
name: Hardware Drivers
command: jockey-gtk
comment: anything you want

jakwriter
April 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Had the exact same problem. Stumbled around for hours. A pot of coffee, a bag of chips, and a chocolate bunny later I found this thread.

These may be new thread questions, but . . .

What could have made the button disappear? And how does one figure out what goes in the command slot (eg jockey-gtk)?

Alright, legitimate question now - Followed the directions provided by adult swim, got this

Failed to execute child process "jockey-gtk" (No such file or directory) I did however do a search for "jockey-gtk" in the Synaptic Package Manager, find and install it. So the button does work now.

So, uh, how does one figure out what command to attach to a particular launcher button?

nandemonai
April 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Had the exact same problem. Stumbled around for hours. A pot of coffee, a bag of chips, and a chocolate bunny later I found this thread.

These may be new thread questions, but . . .

What could have made the button disappear? And how does one figure out what goes in the command slot (eg jockey-gtk)?

Alright, legitimate question now - Followed the directions provided by adult swim, got this

Failed to execute child process "jockey-gtk" (No such file or directory) I did however do a search for "jockey-gtk" in the Synaptic Package Manager, find and install it. So the button does work now.

So, uh, how does one figure out what command to attach to a particular launcher button?

All depends on the application / command you're trying to invoke. If it were Firefox it would be (surprise surprise) firefox or firefox-3.0.

You need to know the name used to invoke the command at terminal level.

/bin/ /sbin/ /usr/bin/ and /usr/sbin/ should contain all binaries for installed applications.

As far as finding out some of the more obscure names for programs you'd either need to search google or a trick I like, if you already have a menu option for said launcher is to copy it to the desktop and right click -> properties to find out what command is used to invoke it.