PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] 2nd SATA drive (slave) not recognized by Ubuntu

generic_idea_machine
December 12th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Hi all,

I just hooked up a 2nd HDD to the system that is not recognized by Ubuntu. The harddisk is picked up in the BIOS however. The HDD with the primary Ubuntu Partition is a SATA drive, however the second drive I am trying to install is a SATA2 drive.

So far I have tried the following to get this working:

Move the SATA cable from one port to another to see if this works
enable AHCI in BIOS --> based on the instructions provided in the following thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=914515&highlight=sata+slave)
Also if I plug the new SATA2 drive in the primary SATA port, then system does pick it up. However I need to add it as a slave.

I did some more research and got some conflicting information. Some post suggest it to be a driver support problem (lack of Seagate drivers) in Ubuntu...and to use "Mint" to get around this problem. Other post suggest it to be a problem with the ASUS mobo and with no apparent workaround, other than to be using the same kind of disks (brand, type and size) in order to get around this. I guess I forgot to state the obvious that I do have an ASUS M2A-VM (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1568&l1=3&l2=101&l3=496) mobo

Output of Lspci (http://pastebin.com/m2821aade)
Output of lshw (http://pastebin.com/m5139076a)
messages file output (http://pastebin.com/m6f72eeb7)

Am I missing something obvious?

generic_idea_machine
December 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
:guitar: bump :guitar:

Ifaistos
December 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Have you tried using any other kind of distribution to check if it "picks it up".

You can use Knoppix Live CD, or even better parted magic.

If none of them "pick it up" then most prolly it's a Linux driver problem, or (most prolly) a wiring problem.

Hope that helps... let me know what happened...

bsmith1051
December 12th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Pastebin.com is cool, never saw that before!

Can you clarify which drive is the 1st and which is the 2nd (w probs)? I see from your 'lshw' list that a Seagate 500 GB is being recognized as 'sda' (but with no partitions) and a Hitachi 250 GB is 'sdb' (with sdb1, sdb2, and sdb5 partitions). Is the Seagate the drive you're having trouble with? Is it suppposed to be a blank drive?

Have you tried using Partition Editor (aka gparted, available through Synaptic) ? If the Seagate is a new drive and you just need to partition it, this is the easiest way. You'll then need to manually add a reference to it in your /etc/fstab file, e.g.

> sudo mkdir /data
> gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
then add a line such as:

/dev/sda1 /data ext3 relatime 0 2

pietjanjaap
December 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Sata has no slave and master, they are alone on 1 cable.
Why do you need on the other cable?

Did you check the bios if your sata controller is enabled, and if the settings are correct, like raid, sata, ide etc.

Is your harddisk in fstab ?
Install " gparted" is a partion editor, to format your drive. Do you see your hd.
Install this "pysdm" storage device manager, to connect your hd to a map, do you see your harddisk.

generic_idea_machine
December 13th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Pastebin.com is cool, never saw that before!

Can you clarify which drive is the 1st and which is the 2nd (w probs)? I see from your 'lshw' list that a Seagate 500 GB is being recognized as 'sda' (but with no partitions) and a Hitachi 250 GB is 'sdb' (with sdb1, sdb2, and sdb5 partitions). Is the Seagate the drive you're having trouble with? Is it suppposed to be a blank drive?

Have you tried using Partition Editor (aka gparted, available through Synaptic) ? If the Seagate is a new drive and you just need to partition it, this is the easiest way. You'll then need to manually add a reference to it in your /etc/fstab file, e.g.

> sudo mkdir /data
> gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
then add a line such as:

/dev/sda1 /data ext3 relatime 0 2

Thank you! It works!

The only thing I did differently was to mount the hard disk under the /media folder so it shows up under "Places" and on my Desktop.

The only problem right now is that I have to sudo on a terminal to copy and delete files from the /media/hdd partition (newly added hard drive). What do I have to do in order to copy/past/delete files from Nautilus?

Many thanks once again for all your help. :KS

generic_idea_machine
December 13th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Thank you! It works!

The only thing I did differently was to mount the hard disk under the /media folder so it shows up under "Places" and on my Desktop.

The only problem right now is that I have to sudo on a terminal to copy and delete files from the /media/hdd partition (newly added hard drive). What do I have to do in order to copy/past/delete files from Nautilus?

Many thanks once again for all your help. :KS

Think I was able to figure it out (permission issue for the actual mount point folder)

This fixed it :)

sudo chmod -R 2777 /media/hdd